Newbie...Please help with Star N9776 6" JB. Phone screen goes black when calling pls help

Paddy ODoors

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,
I am new to this forum and thought I would ask for some advice about an issue thats driving me mad.
I bought a cheap (all I could afford) jelly bean Chinese Star N9776 phone and on the whole have to report its great for the money.
The only problem is that when I make a call or receive a call the ALS_PS sensor I think turns the screen off and it will not come back on until the call ends.
I have searched for answers and have found that this is a common problem. One thread suggested that if you enter the boot menu with the volume and power key you can sellect an option to disable this feature.
However the menu is in Chinese:-\ !!
Please can anyone help me with this or suggest a remedy keeping in mind I am a novice ;)
Thanks in advance.
Paddy

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,
I am new to this forum and thought I would ask for some advice about an issue thats driving me mad.
I bought a cheap (all I could afford) jelly bean Chinese Star N9776 phone and on the whole have to report its great for the money.
The only problem is that when I make a call or receive a call the ALS_PS sensor I think turns the screen off and it will not come back on until the call ends.
I have searched for answers and have found that this is a common problem. One thread suggested that if you enter the boot menu with the volume and power key you can sellect an option to disable this feature.
However the menu is in Chinese:-\ !!
Please can anyone help me with this or suggest a remedy keeping in mind I am a novice ;)
Thanks in advance.
Paddy

Do you have another device that can take a photo and then have Google Translate convert it?

DemoNaija

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The 'Als_ps calibration' function in the Display settings will solve this. When in the calibration mode, put the phone to your ear (as if you were taking a call) and hold it still and hit the 'Calibrate' button and let it do its thing for 3 seconds and hit 'OK' after its done. It should solve the issue of the screen blacking out during a call, either incoming or outgoing.
Hopefully it works.

Paddy ODoors

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi, Many thanks for the replies.
I was actually calibrating it all wrong by direction of the odd Chinese instructions translated into English.
All work fine now.
Thanks for the help everyone.
Paddy:)

melveno

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
The 'Als_ps calibration' function in the Display settings will solve this. When in the calibration mode, put the phone to your ear (as if you were taking a call) and hold it still and hit the 'Calibrate' button and let it do its thing for 3 seconds and hit 'OK' after its done. It should solve the issue of the screen blacking out during a call, either incoming or outgoing.
Hopefully it works.

You are a beautiful human being. All this time I thought my proximity sensor was messed up. Thank you. Thank you.
Side note for others that may find this forum:
From home screen press: menu / system setting / Display / Als_ps calibration
then do the calibration explained above

Paddy is right. The calibration screen has "Please obstacles placed in the phone above" which must be a bad translation from Chinese.