what are touchscreens made of?

android2be

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I AM A BIT FrUSTRATED withthese phones and cost. I just got the lg optimus showtime l86c andfind that the touchscreen is made of plastic! Are all cell phones made of plastic vs glass. Which is better.? The more youpay the qualty seems to be decreasing. I would prefer to go with verizon because of where I live anda prepaid phone. Any sugestions? Thanks! I did purchase a samsung reverb with virgin mobile and goyt terrible coverage. Loved the phone though better made.

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Capacitive touchscreen's are usually made of glass but the cheap ones are made of plastic. Even cheaper ones are resistive touchscreen's and they're just aweful. Glass touchscreens usually have the best accuracy.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Most prepaid plans and services have low to mid range devices, meaning they will be made of cheaper materials and have lower specs. Straight talk recently started selling the iPhone 5 and galaxy s2, but prior to that, all smart phones through them were plastic screened. And for the price ($200+ per device) you could easily go to a contract, spend the same amount, and have a superior device. But you would be paying more per month. Its a bit of a trade off. If you are looking for a nice phone at a cheaper price, while staying on a prepaid plan, I suggest purchasing the nexus 4 and using a prepaid like tmobile or ATTs MNVOs.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I can't remember where I found it from, but they are testing screens made out of synthetic sapphire right now. It us the second hardest mineral on earth behind diamond, and is more clear than glass.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I can't remember where I found it from, but they are testing screens made out of synthetic sapphire right now. It us the second hardest mineral on earth behind diamond, and is more clear than glass.

True, but I've read that the cost of production is ridiculous for a phone display.

"Worth is not measured in worldly things, but instead in the compassion you have given unto others." via my droid DNA.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
True, but I've read that the cost of production is ridiculous for a phone display.

"Worth is not measured in worldly things, but instead in the compassion you have given unto others." via my droid DNA.

Yeah hopefully they can implement it someday, as with all new tech (in this case a new use), consumer adoption is hit and miss and cost will be high.

Ultimately it would be really nice as you wouldn't need a screen protector or maybe even a case.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax