Completely uninstalling avast

AnAndroidDroid

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I uninstalled avast a while back, but I keep getting a notification to upgrade avast anti theft. Does that mean that avast is not completely uninstalled? If so, how can I remove it? If not, what is causing the notification?

Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
some applications can leave little helpers behind. look in your application list for something off. or is the message a text or an email?

AnAndroidDroid

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Nope. It's a notification. I've looked through all of my installed apps and can't find anything related to avast.

AnAndroidDroid

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried running multiple scans, but it always crashes while scanning the same app. Is there a way to find out which app it's having trouble with?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried running multiple scans, but it always crashes while scanning the same app. Is there a way to find out which app it's having trouble with?

I would search through the Application manager. Settings>Application Manager>swipe over to all apps. There may have been something left behind. The other thing that you should be able to do is look through your file explorer, and look for a folder named Avast, and delete that.

Last resort and I know you won't like it: Factory reset. It will get rid of the Avast problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Lookout isn't the only ad detector out there. Go to Google Play and search for "ad detector," and you'll find a number of them from reputable names. Try some different ones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

AnAndroidDroid

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
No trace of avast anywhere. Can't locate it in application manager, no folder named avast through file explorer.

Tried TrustGo Ad Detector, no sign of avast there either.

This is so perplexing.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No trace of avast anywhere. Can't locate it in application manager, no folder named avast through file explorer.

Tried TrustGo Ad Detector, no sign of avast there either.

This is so perplexing.

Have you restarted since uninstall?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

AnAndroidDroid

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Yea I uninstalled it a few weeks ago, so restarted a few times since. The last time I got a notification was a couple of days ago.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Is your phone rooted? As an option, Avast Anti-Theft can be installed as a system app on rooted phones. If that's the case, just uninstalling the app won't remove that part of Avast. You need to reload Avast and use the uninstall option within Avast or delete it from your system folder.

Sent from my Nexus 4

AnAndroidDroid

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Phone is not rooted, but regardless I'll try reinstalling avast and uninstalling within the app.

AnAndroidDroid

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Reinstalled avast, there is an avast anti theft removal wizard under settings. I have, hopefully, removed it through that, and will uninstall avast as normal. Thanks for the suggestion, hope that's the end of this.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Reinstalled avast, there is an avast anti theft removal wizard under settings. I have, hopefully, removed it through that, and will uninstalled avast as normal. Thanks for the suggestion, hope that's the end of this.

I would send a comolaint to avast. That should have been uninstalled with the rest of the app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I like Lookout. It never bugs me to upgrade to the paid version of anything. It's lightweight, and uses minimal battery compared to Avast.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I would send a comolaint to avast. That should have been uninstalled with the rest of the app.

I believe that Avast does this intentionally to protect the anti-theft portion from being removed by performing a factory reset. If you install it as a system app, Avast advises you that you have to uninstall using the option inside the app.

Sent from my Nexus 4

AnAndroidDroid

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I like Lookout. It never bugs me to upgrade to the paid version of anything. It's lightweight, and uses minimal battery compared to Avast.

I just went with avast because it was a big name and I preferred its design over avg. In the end, I just got rid of it because I felt, as a lot of others do, that it didn't serve much purpose. Would rather use common sense, which doesn't drain battery or decrease performance, no matter how minimal. As for anti theft I never bothered to set it up.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just went with avast because it was a big name and I preferred its design over avg. In the end, I just got rid of it because I felt, as a lot of others do, that it didn't serve much purpose. Would rather use common sense, which doesn't drain battery or decrease performance, no matter how minimal. As for anti theft I never bothered to set it up.

That's a reasonable approach for now. The challenge will be knowing when malware technology starts to overcome Android's inherent malware shield, which is the fact that malicious apps can't do anything unless you actually install them.

cgcanton

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
After reading some of the solutions in the web, they seemed complicated to me (such as rooting the cell phone and searching for a specific file with some tool like Root Explorer). Then, it occurred to me reinstalling and uninstalling Avast again and it worked: Anti-Theft was gone.