I know there are 8 billion posts out there asking questions on this, but I haven't been able to find my answer(s) yet. I read through the post on jumping ship from Blackberry to Android and what you need to know, but I still have some questions.

1. Is there an app for Hotmail coming in the near future? I have a Gmail account and a Hotmail account that I use for different things. While I read through how to use Gmail for another account and I'm sure I could do it, I just think it would be easier if there was a Hotmail app. Does anyone know if something is in the works or if there is an easy work around? That's one of the main things holding me back.

2. Are there any rumblings regarding a Facebook app that sends notifications? I know you can still get the emails in your inbox, but I really like how the Blackberry Facebook app just sends you its own notifications.

3. Is there an MLB At Bat app for Android?

4. Is there a list on Android Central that shows what apps are necessary downloads?

That's all I can really come up with right now. I have unlimited texts, so I barely use BBM, so I'm not even upset at all about that. Plus, I could probably convince some people to use Gchat anyway.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I've reposted anything. I'm completely new to Android (don't have one yet, still waiting to see if I can hang), and I don't know squat about it. I'm not tech-illiterate, but I'm no whiz either. Which is why I'm a little leery, too. I've got Blackberry down, and I'm not sure I'm ready for the whole wide world of Android. But man those phones on VZW sure do look friggin' awesome!
    08-13-2010 11:16 AM
    1) There is no native hotmail app that I can think of, I'd just suggest syncing your hotmail to your gmail account. Here's a guide to tell you how, if you're interested.

2) I think that if you get the updated facebook app for android, they'll have a section for incoming notifications. Try looking up their Facebook for Android page

3) I guess there is, here's a link from appbrain.com

4) If you mean like a "Top 10 apps you need to get on your Android phone" or "Top 5 [Insert Category here] apps for android", I don't think that there is one. However, they do have Quick App reviews and app picks of the week, just go here. There are other great sites that do something similar like "app/s of the week" and other stuff like that. Just look around and ask people. I just use Appbrain.com's hot apps section and Gizmodo's Essential Apps of the Week (or something like that) here's to get you started on some apps that you might like/want androidappsdirectory - Gizmodo
    08-13-2010 11:49 AM
    Awesome...thanks! I'll definitely look into it. I'm up for a new phone now, but I had heard rumors of things even bigger than the DX coming for VZW by the end of the year, so I may wait it out. My Storm 2 is working fine for me. But I just can't get past the great things that Android is doing and seemingly leaving BB behind on right now. I still would love a Hotmail app, but being able to sync through Gmail might be just what I needed. Thanks again!
    08-13-2010 12:11 PM
    The Facebook app for android does not give you push notifications, you have to open the app for the notification to appear. Bloo is and app that was created for Android devices that is a replacement for Facebook which actually gives you notifications on your device and consumes less battery life. Here is a link to some info on Bloo Bloo The Android Facebook App
    08-13-2010 02:31 PM
    So I was checking out the video on the D2 and saw where there was some kind of widget for an email client not named "Gmail". What exactly does this do?

Sorry if I'm really slow, but I don't have a Droid (yet) and am really just trying to figure out if they would work for me. I would definitely appreciate any input or guidance. Thanks!
    08-17-2010 02:09 PM
    PingChat or Kik are both wonderful alternatives to BBM, by the way.
    08-17-2010 02:37 PM
    So I was checking out the video on the D2 and saw where there was some kind of widget for an email client not named "Gmail". What exactly does this do?

Sorry if I'm really slow, but I don't have a Droid (yet) and am really just trying to figure out if they would work for me. I would definitely appreciate any input or guidance. Thanks!
    That would be for your non gmail accts.
    I never used berrybuzz on the berry but I don't know if you have.

You will miss the sleeper magnet (I sure do!!) but it is an easy transition to the android platform.

The calendar imho stinks, especially in month view and I recommend you look at jorte.

Some apps to consider:

CT Scheduler- this does what profiler did on BB.

Jorte Calendar

Handcent or chompsms (I use the latter) for sms, etc.

Toutier sp? is the preferred choice for Twitter

NewsRob for a RSS Reader

Google Listen for Podcasts, etc.

MVideoPlayer- better than default media player for videos
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    08-17-2010 02:49 PM
    [QUOTE=tony bag o donuts;289822]That would be for your non gmail accts.
    I never used berrybuzz on the berry but I don't know if you have.

You will miss the sleeper magnet (I sure do!!) but it is an easy transition to the android platform.

The calendar imho stinks, especially in month view and I recommend you look at jorte.

Thanks for the info! So how does that widget for non-gmail accounts work? Does it pop up when you have a new email or do you use it to check your email at your leisure? I haven't transitioned yet, and may still not - it's up in the air right now. I'm waiting for the end of the year when I can sign up for a 1 year contract and see what BB and Android have to offer me for the Christmas season. I'm always wanting the newest thing, so I figured the 1 year was the way to go (saves me money from buying phones on eBay all the time).

I really appreciate the app info. I'll have to look into this a little more when I'm closer to making a decision. Right now I'm just testing the waters, but the people here have been pretty helpful, so far! Thanks again.
    08-17-2010 02:54 PM
    You will still get notified, but it is a separate mailbox and is not pushed like gmail is. It is pulled. All I do is have my work email go through gmail and it's pushed.
    Widgets aren't popups, but more of a preview, etc. of the app and they reside on a screen.

Some devices have 3-7 homescreens and the widgets occupy some of that screen.

For instance, I have twitter's widget taking up a whole screen, but my homescreen is tasks, weather, clock, calendar week view. I can post screen shots if you want to show you.
    I don't like how it will still notify you of sms while on a call. Other people are like what is that sound I hear?

I went to android after a year on an 8330 and haven't seen much progress from BB. I mean seriously, the torch looks like a pre plus with BB's name on it.

The browser is faster, etc.

My brother who used a BB since 2000 switched and loves it.

All the apps I mentioned are free too!
    08-17-2010 03:00 PM
    Thanks Tony for the basic rundown. I'll be coming over from a Bold 9000 next month and this is a totally foreign operating system to me.
    08-17-2010 04:23 PM
    Awesome! I really do appreciate the info. It helps out a ton. If you want to post some screen shots, I'd definitely love to see them.

I'll be constantly checking androidcentral in the near future to see what's new and to help me with my decision, and help from people like you is huge, as well. I like to see the friendly-ness from the forums here.

Like I said, I'll probably be waiting until the end of the year to make my decision. I'm looking forward to seeing what this Droid Pro has to offer, although I'm really hoping it's full touch with no slide out keyboard. I've got a Storm 2 right now and pretty much have gotten used to no keyboard and I'd like to keep it that way.

On a side note, I do kinda agree with you about the advancement of BBs. They do what they do well, but they aren't moving in the same direction as Droids, and that's what is really drawing me to it.

Thanks again.
    08-17-2010 04:43 PM
    I thought the same thing, but after a few days, the android os (especially one with sense, or motoblur, etc.) in my opinion makes it easier to understand.
    08-17-2010 07:54 PM
    If you have some screen shots, could you post those? I would love to see what you're talking about. What phone are you currently using, too?
    08-17-2010 11:05 PM
    I don't know if it was mentioned (I skimmed the thread) but K9 Mail is great for e-mail.
    08-19-2010 01:55 AM
    I don't know if it was mentioned (I skimmed the thread) but K9 Mail is great for e-mail.
    Simply because I don't know much about these phones, what exactly is K9 Mail and how is it different from what comes stock with Android? Email is definitely a huge part of my use on a phone, which is why I got a BB in the first place, so this is pretty important to me if I'm going to make the switch.
    08-19-2010 04:04 PM
    It's got all the features you would want, including better support for push, IMAP, etc. Android's stock e-mail client isn't bad if you use only Gmail but is taking a while to add features that were common on other clients.
    08-19-2010 04:34 PM
    Cool, thanks for the info! I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. I'm looking pretty hard at the Droids, but I just can't figure out if I can handle all the changes from BB. I was also a little upset that the Droid Pro is just a Droid 2 world edition. I was really hoping for a DX with a little smaller screen and no slide out keyboard. That's basically what I'm looking for. I know the DInc basically has everything I'm looking for, but I'm not sure I want to pick one up now with probably new stuff coming in the future. I have a serious "latest and greatest" issue.
    08-20-2010 09:53 AM
    I recently switched from a Storm 2 to the Droid Incredible...AWESOME phone! The change was easier than I expected and painless. I was worried before the switch that it would not be what I was expecting...this phone has exceeded my expectations and the switch over to gmail was a breeze.
    08-20-2010 12:40 PM
    Cool, thanks for the info! I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. I'm looking pretty hard at the Droids, but I just can't figure out if I can handle all the changes from BB. I was also a little upset that the Droid Pro is just a Droid 2 world edition. I was really hoping for a DX with a little smaller screen and no slide out keyboard. That's basically what I'm looking for. I know the DInc basically has everything I'm looking for, but I'm not sure I want to pick one up now with probably new stuff coming in the future. I have a serious "latest and greatest" issue.
    Buy it outright and sell it when the newest and greatest comes out and buy the new one outright.
    08-20-2010 01:53 PM
    One of the main reasons I switched from blackberry to android was the way blackberry made me think I was going to be left out. Blackberry was my first choice in smartphones and a damn good one. Most everything is laid out for you, very secure and stylish to boot. All very appealing to first time smartphone users. However the more I used it the more I realised how buisness oriented it is. Seemed like it was lacking on the entertainment side of things.

It also took way to long for the few updates they did to add a little excitement to the phone. OS5 took almost a year and a half for mainstream carriers to release it. Just some thing to think about while your comparing the two. Did I mention we have flash :P

Happy hunting

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    08-20-2010 10:54 PM
    Is there an app that auto-replaces text as I type/swype? I want to write a few letters and have it be replaced by a sentence.
    08-21-2010 02:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD