Questions about third-party launchers and stock ones

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I got the HTC One last Friday and I'm almost set up like I want.

I've tried Nova and Apex and like them both, I just can't decide which one to buy.

The questions I have about launchers are these:

1.- If I set a launcher as the default one, what happens to the stock one? Will it start in the background at boot and consume battery?
2.- Do I have to delete widgets I have from the stock launcher so they don't update or work in the background before setting a third party launcher as the default with its own widgets?

Perhaps I'm just confused, but I expect that the stock launcher won't start at boot, it's widgets won't work in the background and in general, I wont get any battery consumption from the stock with it widgets if I set another one as the default.

Any info on this one? As an aside, which launcher do you guys recommend between Nova and Apex?

Thanks!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I've been using Apex for a while now and I haven't seen my stock launcher working in the background. Just make sure to clear defalts with the stock launcher and you should be good to go :)

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Apex for a while now and I haven't seen my stock launcher working in the background. Just make sure to clear defalts with the stock launcher and you should be good to go :)

Thanks for the reset defaults suggestion. I thought of doing so before setting Nova or Apex as the default.

Will try some more things before settling with one of them.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I got the HTC One last Friday and I'm almost set up like I want.

I've tried Nova and Apex and like them both, I just can't decide which one to buy.

The questions I have about launchers are these:

1.- If I set a launcher as the default one, what happens to the stock one? Will it start in the background at boot and consume battery?
2.- Do I have to delete widgets I have from the stock launcher so they don't update or work in the background before setting a third party launcher as the default with its own widgets?

Perhaps I'm just confused, but I expect that the stock launcher won't start at boot, it's widgets won't work in the background and in general, I wont get any battery consumption from the stock with it widgets if I set another one as the default.

Any info on this one? As an aside, which launcher do you guys recommend between Nova and Apex?

Thanks!

VDub is right. The stock launcher is halfway disabled when you declare to your phone what you want to be default. Honestly I prefer Nova, but Apex is a good one too. So is ADW.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Nova. You can't go wrong with either, imo. For any widgets you lose the Play Store has good, or better, replacements. Let's know what you decide to use.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

ajua

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I bought Nova after trying thee free versin and also Apex. Honestly, both are very similar but decided on Nova. The only things I'm missing are the weather widgets from HTC, specially the one with the clock (the new one, not the old-school with the flip clock) and the power toggles.

For weather I just decided to keep EZ Weather (free without ads right now) because it has a similar widget and the interface is great.

I will pick up some wallpapers and try a few icon packs. This is how my screen looks right now.

PS: resizing Falcon and Facebook widgets allowed me to keep them in one row and I now have access to them on my left screen. I like to use 3 with the Home in the middle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-14-01-07-39.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-14-01-07-39.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_2013-06-14-01-09-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-14-01-09-17.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member