Best app to open an excel file from dropbox?

True Colors

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

I have a dropbox folder with a Microsoft Excel document stored in it. This excel file contains a list of web links on it.

My goal is to use my Galaxy S4 phone to open this file though dropbox and then click on the links and then have the web pages open up in my phone browser.

Currently, my Galaxy S4 phone does have the dropbox app on it. My phone is able to access the excel file in dropbox just fine by using the Polaris Office App. However, when I click on the links within the Excel file, it does not forward me to the web pages.

Is there some way for me to click on the links on this Excel file and then be forwarded to the corresponding web pages? Perhaps there is an App other than Polaris which is capable of doing this?

Thanks!

TC

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Are you able to long press the links to copy then paste into the browser? It's a bit counter-intuitive, but will get the job done. Do you need to use an excel document with Dropbox for this? If you are open to other options you can use apps note taking apps like Keep to save links and be accessible through Google Drive.

Bookmarking or "read it later" apps are also good for this: Feedly and Pocket are good for this as well.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello.

I have a dropbox folder with a Microsoft Excel document stored in it. This excel file contains a list of web links on it.

My goal is to use my Galaxy S4 phone to open this file though dropbox and then click on the links and then have the web pages open up in my phone browser.

Currently, my Galaxy S4 phone does have the dropbox app on it. My phone is able to access the excel file in dropbox just fine by using the Polaris Office App. However, when I click on the links within the Excel file, it does not forward me to the web pages.

Is there some way for me to click on the links on this Excel file and then be forwarded to the corresponding web pages? Perhaps there is an App other than Polaris which is capable of doing this?

Thanks!

TC

Magnus makes a good suggestion. I would also suggest trying perhaps Kingsoft Office. I haven't tried using it for your need, but I like it a lot better than Polaris. I don't know about the version you have but I can't edit documents in my stock app, thus my downloading Kingsoft.

True Colors

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Are you able to long press the links to copy then paste into the browser? It's a bit counter-intuitive, but will get the job done. Do you need to use an excel document with Dropbox for this? If you are open to other options you can use apps note taking apps like Keep to save links and be accessible through Google Drive.

Bookmarking or "read it later" apps are also good for this: Feedly and Pocket are good for this as well.

No, it did not allow me to copy and paste.

I think that I may understand the technical reasons why Polaris does not allow me to click on the hyperlinks, nor even copy and paste the letters. I think that Polaris does not actually open up the Excel file and give you access to the actual hyperlinks which are embedded within the file. I think that Polaris simply gives you a visual representation of what the file looks like. Similar to converting a Word document into a pdf file....... but I digress.

Anyway, the Kingston Office app solved my problem. It works great.

There is a reason why I am doing it this way.

I use multiple different types of devices to access the internet(PC, tablet, cell phone, etc). Also, I use multiple different operating systems(android, Windows, Linux, iOS, etc).

I got tired of trying to manually sync browser bookmarks across all these different platforms.

Soooooooooo........... my solution is to create one single location(the Excel file) where I can quickly access everything in one well organized little package.

So the net result of all this is that I end up only having to update ONE file in ONE location and then I'm done. It couldn't be easier.

The best part is that I never again have to worry about which device that I am using to access the internet, or which browser, or which operating system, or any of that other stuff.

TC

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No, it did not allow me to copy and paste.

I think that I may understand the technical reasons why Polaris does not allow me to click on the hyperlinks, nor even copy and paste the letters. I think that Polaris does not actually open up the Excel file and give you access to the actual hyperlinks which are embedded within the file. I think that Polaris simply gives you a visual representation of what the file looks like. Similar to converting a Word document into a pdf file....... but I digress.

Anyway, the Kingston Office app solved my problem. It works great.

There is a reason why I am doing it this way.

I use multiple different types of devices to access the internet(PC, tablet, cell phone, etc). Also, I use multiple different operating systems(android, Windows, Linux, iOS, etc).

I got tired of trying to manually sync browser bookmarks across all these different platforms.

Soooooooooo........... my solution is to create one single location(the Excel file) where I can quickly access everything in one well organized little package.

So the net result of all this is that I end up only having to update ONE file in ONE location and then I'm done. It couldn't be easier.

The best part is that I never again have to worry about which device that I am using to access the internet, or which browser, or which operating system, or any of that other stuff.

TC

Glad that helped. I liked Kingsoft so much I got it for PC. I didn't have windows anyway.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

ActionData

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know of an Excel Viewing App. No editing, just Viewing. I am a middle level manager and want to just view my daily excel sheets sent by my MIS team on my Android for daily decision making. The app should have some nice features for viewing, charting, annotation, first level analyzing and collaborating. Help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm going to suggest QuickOffice, which is now an official Google product, and is supposed to allow decent viewing and editing of Microsoft Office documents. I can't say that I've used it for this purpose, though, so you'd need to see for yourself. It's free, so worth a try!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21