Email App Icon stuck on 1 Unread Mail

merong129

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I have been having this problem and it has been bothering my for quite a while now.
The Original email app on my galaxy s3 one day decided to become stuck on 1 unread email. Whether i have read all emails or 5 unread emails, the app displays 1 unread email.
I have tried 'Clearing cache' and 'Clear data' several times on both the email app and gmail(Gmail just for the sake of it even though it is unrelated)
also, deleted all my inbox, junk and trash emails online.
However, no matter what i do the icon still displays 1 unread email.

My phone is not rooted and has been and still working perfectly fine apart from this issue.
I know that the issue isn't that big of a deal since technically email and everything is working, but that 1 on the email icon really annoys me.

I have uploaded a screenshot of what i'm talking about just incase i haven't made myself clear.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-21-15-14-28.png
    Screenshot_2013-06-21-15-14-28.png
    574.3 KB · Views: 10

hakimmmmm

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
It must be a small bug but try to disable the email app and reenable it . don't know weather you can do it without root

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

merong129

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your prompt response.

I don't know what you mean by disable, but i have gone into application manager>>App info for the 'email' app and there is a disable button, but it's greyed out and i can't press it. I've tried force stopping it but that hasn't helped either

hakimmmmm

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
If its grayed out that means you have to root the phone and use 3. Party app to disable the email app. If you want to root your phone its easy just search the forum or Google and keep in mind that by rooting you will loose all your data so you better back up your data . and if root is too much work for you , you can just ignore the email unread coins :) good luck

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

merong129

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
So i guess so far the only potential solution for me is to get my phone rooted.
I really hope that there is another way about this issue or a solid solution

merong129

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Rebooting hasnt worked for me either. I just forgot to mention it in my original post. Ive tried rebooting before and after clearing cache and data, but to no avail so far T.T

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Did you resolve the problem? You don't need to root the phone to address this issue.

Login to your email on a computer and see if there are any unread emails or labels with unread emails. Clear the spam folder and any other folders with email. This should clear up this problem.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

merong129

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Try deleting all your e-mail accounts from the stock e-mail app, and then reload them.

I have deleted all my email accounts and reloaded to no avail :S

- - - Updated - - -

Did you resolve the problem? You don't need to root the phone to address this issue.

Login to your email on a computer and see if there are any unread emails or labels with unread emails. Clear the spam folder and any other folders with email. This should clear up this problem.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Yes i did read this solution on another forum, but for my case this did not resolve the issue.

Last edited:

ScotysDon

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
In my Gmail app, in my Primary Inbox, I've had "3 Unread Emails" showing for a month or so. This was on all our Android devices (3), so I reckoned it was my device but GMail itself. I used a PC to visit the GMail website. I clicked on the down-arrow beside the Inbox, where there is an option for "Unread First". I clicked this, and Lo and Behold, 3 very old emails popped up, apparently unread. These emails were dated April 2012, whereas today is 19 Jan 2014! I opened each, and the counter then reset ro zero. Problem finally solved. I don't believe I have had 3 unread emails for 21 months, so I can't explain why they were there. I hope this helps somebodY!

TheAFChief

May 4, 2015
Visit site
If you completely remove the app, then re-set the accounts for the e-mail account(s), the counter will work fine for a few weeks, and then goes back to 1, 2 or now, mine says 3. Very annoying.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary