How to get Google Music from Canada (As of Google's All Access service addition) walkthrough

jambamochi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Update (December 26, 2013): Merry Christmas! Or for those who don't celebrate Christmas, Happy Holidays! Surprised that people outside the US still use this thread for Google Music (but then again who wouldn't?). From what people have been replying in the posts (thanks for your input!), these are the conclusions that can be drawn:
  • This STILL works for any newly created Google account.
  • This seems to NOT work for Google accounts that have had a non-US credit card added to Google Wallet and purchased something.
  • If it doesn't work for your existing Google account, it isn't the proxy's fault. It's your account that's the problem. I agree, Google is weird sometimes. Hopefully there can be a way around this.

I was digging around, absolutely frustrated that it worked for me before but couldn't help a friend now after a few months (after Google added that credit card validation), and I found something that worked! This may or may not work for credit cards outside Canada/US, I haven't tried.

The process is exactly the same as previous ones (before Google added All Access and required account setup for even free accounts), except for an extra step.

1. Install the Google Chrome proxy extension called ProxMate (ProxMate - ProxMate - Improve your Internet!), although I'm sure other proxy methods work perfectly fine. Tor is an excellent alternative (see notes below for using Tor). UPDATE (September 19, 2014): Try Hola instead of ProxMate, it might just work!
  2. Activate proxy and go to the Google Music website (play.google.com/music) and sign in.
  3. First screen: Welcome To Google Play Music. I deselected the email offer and clicked "Agree and next".
  4. Second screen: Two Ways to Play. I selected "Start with Standard". I like things free :)
  5. Third screen: Set Up Your Standard Account. Click "Set up account" (well there isn't anything else to click anyway). Note: at this point if you have your valid Canadian credit card already inputted into the Google Wallet system, REMOVE it first (wallet.google.com).
  6. Fourth screen: Review your purchase. You should have NO credit cards in here, otherwise remove them (see note above). Now under "pay with", choose "Add a new payment option".
  7. Fifth screen: Set up Google Wallet. Here I put in my valid Canadian credit card details, [NOTE: fake credit cards from fakenamegenerator.com DO NOT WORK] complete with expiry date and CVC code. Keep billing information option checked, and deselected the Google wallet special offers (does anyone actually use them?). Keep the Billing information country as US. Also I entered a name (don't think the name matters?), and 98108 as postal code (Probably doesn't matter either, just needs to be in the US). Click "Save and continue".
  8. Sixth screen: Review your purchase. $0 for Google Music, what a great price! Click "Buy".
  9. Seventh screen: Uh oh. There was a problem. Don't worry, this expected. Click "Close".
  10. Eighth screen: Set Up Your Standard Account. Yep we've seen this before. Here's the trick: Press F5 or reload your page.
  11. Ninth screen: Welcome to Google Play Music. BACK TO SQUARE ONE??? Not quite. Deselect that email offer and click "Agree and next".
  12. Tenth screen: Two Ways to Play. Yep, I haven't changed my mind. Click "Start with Standard".
  13. Eleventh screen: Add your music. BAM. It says standard account activated. And now you have the option of "Skip" or "Download Music Manager". Pretty much done and good to go at this point!
  14. [OPTIONAL]You can go back to Google Wallet and remove your credit card if you are paranoid. I just left it there, I trust Google to be honest and not charge me. Plus I couldn't be bothered anyway.

NOTE:
  • This method works in CANADA with a CANADIAN credit card. If anyone finds this to work anywhere else in the world with a credit card outside North America, DO SHARE HERE!
  • If you follow the instructions as given, your credit card will NOT be charged.
  • You only need ProxMate turned on for the activation of Google Music for your Google/Gmail account. Once it is associated with your account, you can forever access it anywhere in the world without a proxy.
  • Hotspot Shield can be used instead of ProxMate. It can be downloaded here (tested with version 3.13).
  • Try Tor: (https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en). You need to configure Tor to use a US exit node (simple guide here: http://www.2byts.com/2012/03/09/how-to-configure-the-exit-country-on-tor-network).

For those having problems, keep these points in mind, and re-try if necessary:
  • Make sure you're using Google Chrome. This probably doesn't change anything but just in case right?
  • Try Tor: (https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en). You need to configure Tor to use a US exit node (simple guide here: http://www.2byts.com/2012/03/09/how-to-configure-the-exit-country-on-tor-network).
  • Remove the ProxMate extension if you already have it installed. Re-install ProxMate NOT from the google chrome store, but their official website: ProxMate - Proxy on steroids!
  • Check your ProxMate options (Right click the ProxMate logo > Options). Everything should be ticked, but what we're interested in is the second last entry - "play.google.com". Make sure that is ticked.
  • Make sure ProxMate is turned ON.
  • You MUST use a valid credit card! I have not tested whether a non-Canadian credit card works, but in theory any valid credit card should do. Credit cards from fakenamegenerator.com DO NOT WORK! I know because I have tried it.
  • Make sure Google Chrome is up to date. It may not affect anything, but it's one less thing to worry about.
  • Hotspot Shield can be used instead of ProxMate. It can be downloaded here (tested with version 3.13).

Again, anyone having issues please be more specific with the conditions that have led you to your current error or situation. For example, make sure your post includes these points:
  • What version is Google Chrome and ProxMate? Currently mine are: Chrome:29.0.1547.66 m. ProxMate: 2.4.3. Check by going to Settings > About Google Chrome, and Settings > Tools > Extensions.
  • How far you have gotten with the instructions, i.e. which step are you stuck on (number)
  • What was the last thing you did before you got the error message? What did you click/input etc.
  • Which country are you doing this from? It shouldn't matter, but if a pattern arises then it may not be your fault.
  • What country is your credit card from (if it differs from the country that you are trying this in)? By all means DO NOT let us know your credit card number, as you may know this website and all other mobile nation websites (crackberry, etc) was hacked a few months ago.

Post any results you have found, and don't forget to THANK or LIKE if it helped you!

Note that I tried this on two different Google accounts (and while writing this, a third one), all with complete success. However this was done on June 21st (Edited and reconfirmed on September 9th (And again on December 23rd)), and Google has a habit of killing workarounds, so this may eventually be plugged. If this works for anyone or everyone, let me know how it goes!

Last edited:

hugolance

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to help with this!

I've got it working on my Macbook... but how to get it working on Nexus 7 with the Google Music app? Thanks!

p_boucher

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Great! Although for me steps 9 to 12 were not required... Weird because last time I tried I wasn't able to go through without a valid card :-\ ... I went directly from 8 to 13.

Thanks!

Proxmate works like a charm!

xGOMESx

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it skipped steps 9-12 ands I went from 8 - 13! Still, what a fantastic work around, I really hope I don't run into further problems! Thank you for your help! I was so close to just buying an iPod until I found this!

xGOMESx

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Quick question, do I have to keep and use ProxyMate on Chrome every time I want to access Google Music? Or can I uninstall it now?

Also, do I need to keep my credit card's billing address as an American one now that I am in and registered? or will Google pick it up and kick me off?

Cheers!

jambamochi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad it helped you all! This fantastic service deserves to be shared!

Thanks, this is fantastic! Do you know if it's possible to get the premium service in canada? I was thinking a prepaid credit card?
I'm not sure actually, I cannot say since I only upload my own music. When I clicked Shop on the Google music page it did say that it is not available in my country.

Quick question, do I have to keep and use ProxyMate on Chrome every time I want to access Google Music? Or can I uninstall it now?

Also, do I need to keep my credit card's billing address as an American one now that I am in and registered? or will Google pick it up and kick me off?

Cheers!
You can uninstall Proxmate, you only need it for service activation. Now Google Music is attached to your account, and you can access it anywhere.
Your billing address shouldn't matter. In any case I removed the credit card I used to activate Google Music by going to www.wallet.google.com.

redlogiK

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I went through the first couple of steps pretty quickly and created my account before the proxy initialized. So, it was created in Canada... I should have waited... :/ If anyone has any suggestion on how to redo the registration process please tell me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Lawrence Lin

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks...if google blocks this workaround will it affect those that are already set up? Or only those that still requires setting up.

Last edited:

Solar Max

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
THANK YOU, jambamochi. I am smiling as I watch all of my music going up to Google Play Music. Owe ya big time. Been trying to do this for months.

felixhcat

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
I found your instructions vague and unhelpful. Moreover, they just plain did not work if one had an already existing Google Music account activated.
Here's the steps I followed (after many hours of Google account hackery)

1) Go to Google Wallet Manager - https://wallet.google.com/manage/
2) Click the gear in the corner to go to settings
3) Change your home address to an American address which you can generate here - Generate a Random Name - Fake Name Generator
4) Back to the main wallet screen, under "Payment Methods", click "Add a Credit or Debit Card"
5) Add a credit card or VISA debit from your (physical) wallet BUT in the address field, put the address we just generated in step 3 (sneaky, I know..)
6) On your computer, place yourself behind a VPN of your choice, Hotspot Shield, Ultrasurf, etc. to make your internet traffic appear as if it originates from within the United States
7) Go into your already existing Google music account settings - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../music/listen?view=%2Fsettings&token=joDkCQvn
8) Wait. I could now at this point access the "Music" section of play.google.com but could not get the "All Access" option to appear beside the "Standard Account" in Google Music settings
9) After you wait for awhile (I stepped away and came back a few hours later) refresh Google music account settings and you should see a big orange button indicating that you may join the All Access Free Trial-- do so.
10) You now no longer require a VPN to access the Google Play Music Store or Google Music All Access :D
11) I've heard reports that users have successfully been billed recurently after returning their home address in Google Wallet settings to their Canadian address (proceed with caution and at your own risk)
12) Before you change your address back (if you choose to do so), you may be interested in buying yourself some hardware from the American Google Play Devices Store and using a service such as shipito.com to redirect American bound packages to your Canadian address (I used this method to buy a Chromecast)
13) Rejoice. Your music collection just became vastly larger and bitorrenting (or purchasing) individual albums has been rendered mostly obsolete. Take some time to gloat in front of your friends.

jambamochi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I went through the first couple of steps pretty quickly and created my account before the proxy initialized. So, it was created in Canada... I should have waited... :/ If anyone has any suggestion on how to redo the registration process please tell me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
I believe you can just repeat the whole process mentioned above and it would work.

Thanks...if google blocks this workaround will it affect those that are already set up? Or only those that still requires setting up.
No, if google blocks this workaround, it's only to set up google music and associate it with your google account. Once your account has it, it's always going to be there. Google wont' take it away.

I found your instructions vague and unhelpful. Moreover, they just plain did not work if one had an already existing Google Music account activated.
Here's the steps I followed (after many hours of Google account hackery)

1) Go to Google Wallet Manager - https://wallet.google.com/manage/
2) Click the gear in the corner to go to settings
3) Change your home address to an American address which you can generate here - Generate a Random Name - Fake Name Generator
4) Back to the main wallet screen, under "Payment Methods", click "Add a Credit or Debit Card"
5) Add a credit card or VISA debit from your (physical) wallet BUT in the address field, put the address we just generated in step 3 (sneaky, I know..)
6) On your computer, place yourself behind a VPN of your choice, Hotspot Shield, Ultrasurf, etc. to make your internet traffic appear as if it originates from within the United States
7) Go into your already existing Google music account settings - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../music/listen?view=%2Fsettings&token=HKyRQpX5
8) Wait. I could now at this point access the "Music" section of play.google.com but could not get the "All Access" option to appear beside the "Standard Account" in Google Music settings
9) After you wait for awhile (I stepped away and came back a few hours later) refresh Google music account settings and you should see a big orange button indicating that you may join the All Access Free Trial-- do so.
10) You now no longer require a VPN to access the Google Play Music Store or Google Music All Access :D
11) I've heard reports that users have successfully been billed recurently after returning their home address in Google Wallet settings to their Canadian address (proceed with caution and at your own risk)
12) Before you change your address back (if you choose to do so), you may be interested in buying yourself some hardware from the American Google Play Devices Store and using a service such as shipito.com to redirect American bound packages to your Canadian address (I used this method to buy a Chromecast)
13) Rejoice. Your music collection just became vastly larger and bitorrenting (or purchasing) individual albums has been rendered mostly obsolete. Take some time to gloat in front of your friends.
Thanks for your input, however this walk-through is only for acquiring the Google Music service in the first place, not for getting All Access Subscription. Please consider what has been provided (getting Google Music service), and what you are trying to achieve (All Access) before forming your accusations in that my instructions are vague and unhelpful. In any case, others have found this to have worked and given their thanks. Anyway, hopefully others will find your All Access Subscription walk-through helpful.

barragan

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
What am I missing? I get stuck on step 2 no matter what. I see a glimpse of the fabled music service and I get redirected immediately to the dreadful "The google music player is currently available in select territories" argh. :'(

I swear I have tried all by now: vpn, dns. this. Nothing works. Google always knows I'm in Canada. I have logged off, changed my cc info. My PC seems to be stuck in a Canadian location FOREVER

davidbonatz

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
activated proxmate (turned it on at least) went to the link, the page loaded properly for a second or two then it a screen showed up saying "The Google Play music player is currently available in select territories.". What can i do? Or what did i do wrong?

Geoff H

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I also registered here so I could make sure to thank you for your help with this. I've been trying for a long time and followed instructions on a bunch of sites, but the steps no longer worked as the info was outdated. It was skeptical at first, but man did I get excited fast when it all worked and I'm in the process of uploading/matching all of my favs from my extensive library. I'm assuming whoever does this on a continuing basis in the future (uploading through google music) will have to access the site through the proxy.
You definitely rock my friend. You've made a lot of people VERY happy, myself included!