Hello everyone, trying to get some opinions on what phone I should upgrade to and if I should change services? My Evo 3D's screen went out and don't feel like replacing screen, phone has plenty of wear already and I am fixing to buy either a Galaxy S4, Iphone5, or Htc One. I currently have Sprint services, my evo was rooted and I was tethering my Ipad and laptop through this phone. I hope to do the same on my new phone. Any suggestions on which phone? Also, I have considered changing services to Verizon, I believe they have a better network for data. I'm from South Texas and Verizon has some 4g Lte coverage and full 3g service. Sprint on the other hand, every since the nextel transition a few years ago took a nose dive. They used to be the fastest network around, but now they drag, like half the speed of dial up modem drag. We have never really had a real 3g speed in sprint area unless you travel to a larger city away from us. My work area is Corpus Christi,Alice,Kingsville, etc......

Any suggestions or ideas would be very helpful. I am willing to root again for the tethering, and do not particularly care about phone price, or what service, but I would like to keep the tethering to be the biggest factor. To my knowledge, Sprint does not seem to monitor my tethering, of course, I don't use a great deal of data, but I do use for work items like emailing, browsing, occasional downloads of documents, but my daughter and I also travel a lot for her extracurricular activity,so she streams netflix whenever we possible can with sprint.

Thanks for any help....
    06-26-2013 11:04 PM
    Hello everyone, trying to get some opinions on what phone I should upgrade to and if I should change services? My Evo 3D's screen went out and don't feel like replacing screen, phone has plenty of wear already and I am fixing to buy either a Galaxy S4, Iphone5, or Htc One. I currently have Sprint services, my evo was rooted and I was tethering my Ipad and laptop through this phone. I hope to do the same on my new phone. Any suggestions on which phone? Also, I have considered changing services to Verizon, I believe they have a better network for data. I'm from South Texas and Verizon has some 4g Lte coverage and full 3g service. Sprint on the other hand, every since the nextel transition a few years ago took a nose dive. They used to be the fastest network around, but now they drag, like half the speed of dial up modem drag. We have never really had a real 3g speed in sprint area unless you travel to a larger city away from us. My work area is Corpus Christi,Alice,Kingsville, etc......

Any suggestions or ideas would be very helpful. I am willing to root again for the tethering, and do not particularly care about phone price, or what service, but I would like to keep the tethering to be the biggest factor. To my knowledge, Sprint does not seem to monitor my tethering, of course, I don't use a great deal of data, but I do use for work items like emailing, browsing, occasional downloads of documents, but my daughter and I also travel a lot for her extracurricular activity,so she streams netflix whenever we possible can with sprint.

Thanks for any help....
    Welcome to the forums!!!

Funny, Sprint just announced they launched LTE in Corpus Christi area. I think your Evo doesn't have an LTE 4G radio, but a WiMax (I may be wrong here). Do you have any friends who are on sprint with an S4, S3, HTC One, etc that you can ask how their speeds are? One thing to be careful of is look at Sprint's site to see what your average data use is. It would suck to find out the hard way that you use a little more data than you think, which pushes you into Verizon's next tier and makes you pay more. Not trying to convince you to stay, just showing you something to consider.

Most custom ROMs include a tethering option. You could look into doing that.

A new phone is probably the best thing for you no matter what you do.
    06-26-2013 11:16 PM
    I did not know about the 4g Lte, but Corpus Christi already had 4g, that is 45 miles from us here in Alice, I wish they would catch up. We have been paying for premium services for years and never received premium service, just nice phones with slow backhaul :-( . Trips to bigger cities is always a treat because we finally get to explore 3g or 4g. My daughter has the Evo 4g Lte, but speeds still suck, in town, one bar of service. Gets you a voice call, but takes 5 minutes to get your home screen to browse.
    06-26-2013 11:32 PM