capture_01.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Too big ram being used? Help

This isn't a problem the way most people intuitively think about it. For efficiency, you actually want to be using a steady stream of most of your RAM when it's needed, rather than spiking up and down, etc. This efficiency helps lead to a smoother transition between actions than would be observed with a start/stop fluctuation pattern. In general, unless you have a rogue app that is out of control, you don't want to arbitrarily start killing apps. Android will handle this in the background for you on an as needed basis.

David Santos2

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Too big ram being used? Help

This isn't a problem the way most people intuitively think about it. For efficiency, you actually want to be using a steady stream of most of your RAM when it's needed, rather than spiking up and down, etc. This efficiency helps lead to a smoother transition between actions than would be observed with a start/stop fluctuation pattern. In general, unless you have a rogue app that is out of control, you don't want to arbitrarily start killing apps. Android will handle this in the background for you on an as needed basis.

So you mean it's ok/normal? :-D

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, unless you're experiencing a lot of lag or other performance issues. This isn't a cause of issues, but a tool to help troubleshoot them.

Transmitted through spacetime.

David Santos2

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes, unless you're experiencing a lot of lag or other performance issues. This isn't a cause of issues, but a tool to help troubleshoot them.

If it's about lag or performance issues I'm not currently experiencing some... I'll report if I do, BTW what performance issues do u mean and what major issues should I watch out for...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If it's about lag or performance issues I'm not currently experiencing some... I'll report if I do, BTW what performance issues do u mean and what major issues should I watch out for...

I mean freezing and crashing. If things are good, just enjoy :)

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
For the most part you shouldn't have to worry about memory. Android Central has a good article on it (it's a couple of years old, but still relevant):
RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

In a nutshell, you don't have to worry about it (usually). Empty RAM sitting there is useless and thinking you need a lot of empty memory is a very old way of thinking (it's funny because when Vista was released, it managed memory similarly and forums were full of complaints about how much memory it used compared to XP). Not that Vista didn't have other issues...

Think of it like this (I'm going to exaggerate numbers and the process for effect here). Say you use the Facebook app a lot. It takes 5 seconds to load Facebook into memory/RAM before the app can open. If it's already sitting in Memory taking up space, it only takes 1 second to open the app. It's obviously better to have it sitting there in memory, because the next time you need it, it's only going to take a second before you can be using the app.

On the flip side, if something needs that memory that Facebook is using, it only takes 0.00001 seconds to throw Facebook out of memory to load something else in there, so there's virtually no tradeoff. Android will recognize you use Facebook a lot, and pre-emptively load it into memory, assuming you're going to want to use it before you want to use some other app you use less. That way when you need Facebook, it'll open faster. There is no point in having empty RAM sitting there.

Another example (and I suck with analogies) is picture RAM like a gas tank in your car. Is it be better/faster to have gas already in the tank for when you need the car? Or would you rather have the tank empty, so then when you need to go somewhere you have to go get a gas can, open the cap and fill up the tank before you can use the car? Obviously it's going to be a faster process to already have the gas in the tank ready to go. Also, having the tank empty fills absolutely no purpose.

Hope that helps.

David Santos2

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
For the most part you shouldn't have to worry about memory. Android Central has a good article on it (it's a couple of years old, but still relevant):
RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

In a nutshell, you don't have to worry about it (usually). Empty RAM sitting there is useless and thinking you need a lot of empty memory is a very old way of thinking (it's funny because when Vista was released, it managed memory similarly and forums were full of complaints about how much memory it used compared to XP). Not that Vista didn't have other issues...

Think of it like this (I'm going to exaggerate numbers and the process for effect here). Say you use the Facebook app a lot. It takes 5 seconds to load Facebook into memory/RAM before the app can open. If it's already sitting in Memory taking up space, it only takes 1 second to open the app. It's obviously better to have it sitting there in memory, because the next time you need it, it's only going to take a second before you can be using the app.

On the flip side, if something needs that memory that Facebook is using, it only takes 0.00001 seconds to throw Facebook out of memory to load something else in there, so there's virtually no tradeoff. Android will recognize you use Facebook a lot, and pre-emptively load it into memory, assuming you're going to want to use it before you want to use some other app you use less. That way when you need Facebook, it'll open faster. There is no point in having empty RAM sitting there.

Another example (and I suck with analogies) is picture RAM like a gas tank in your car. Is it be better/faster to have gas already in the tank for when you need the car? Or would you rather have the tank empty, so then when you need to go somewhere you have to go get a gas can, open the cap and fill up the tank before you can use the car? Obviously it's going to be a faster process to already have the gas in the tank ready to go. Also, having the tank empty fills absolutely no purpose.

Hope that helps.

Wow nice explanation Ty so much :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX