Having Trouble Adding Music to SD Card (Please Help!)

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I posted this yesterday in the 4.1/4.2 forum however I realize now it probably should have originally been posted here. So here goes.

A quick history.

I've used an iPhone for many years. I just got an S4 Active. I love it for the most part.

I've tried several ways to transfer my music collection on my SD card with no success. I'm using a Mac.

Here is what I've tried and what's happened.

iSyncr quoted me a transfer time of 5 hours (!) via USB transfer and gave me an error message at the 23% mark on 3 occations. I then formatted my SD card and moved on.

DoubleTwist did nothing. I looked in Settings, but I was unable to transfer anything onto the SD card with my Active connected to my Mac via USB.

AFT was useless.

AirDroid recognizes only 11 GB of my 64 GB card.

WiFi File Transfer Pro seemed to be my saving grace. I tried uploading my entire connection in one click and the program froze. I then finally had success by uploading individual artist folders. Basically I'd have to pick one artist and I'd be able to upload all their albums in their folders in one click. Okay this is progress.

This is obviously going to take a great deal of time because my collection is pretty large. So I did artists A-B and was looking to do C today. Well I go to upload an artist and I get error messages in the form of red X's when the upload is attempted. Then things get crazy. My Active tells me that my SD card can now be removed. WiFi File Transfer Pro no longer recognizes the SD card. I go to Settings on my Active and it doesn't recognizes my SD card.

I restart my phone. Same thing. I get the notifcation that it's safe for me to remove the SD card. I restart again and my Active recognizes my SD card and still has all my previous music files on it. I connect to WiFi File Transfer Pro and all my previous music is on it but I now see a tmp file labeled DeleteMe followed by a serious of numbers. I delete said file.

I've uninstalled WiFi File Transfer Pro. I've formated the SD card. It is recognized by my Active with 59.47 GB available.

I'm pretty sure File Transfer Pro caused this headache. I believe my SD card is just fine. I need a way to successfully transfer my music onto my SD card. Please help me. This is driving me crazy. Thank you.

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Tried Kies. I had my Active connected. I attempted to transfer all my music in one drag and drop. It hit song 1080 out of a touch over 10k songs and it stopped. No error message. Just stopped transferring. Nightmare continues.

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I think I just realized I was making a big mistake. I saw SD card listed as storage and wrongly thought that was my SD card. It wasn't of course. To access my SD card I needed to click 'Files' and then locate my SD card. It looks like that solves my issue. I still need to upload an artist at a time or it crashes. I tried uploaded all my music in one shot and AirDroid was having none of it. At least this interface is much nicer and smoother than WiFi File Transfer Pro. I'll report back once I'm done to see if I had any issues or not.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Google Music is a great solution for transferring your files to the cloud and not be limited to transfer size or file size on your phone. You'll also have access to your music wherever you are at on the go.

I was going to suggest you use WiFi File Explorer Pro. However, it looks like you found an alternative that you like better. Please report back and let everyone know how AirDroid works for you.

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Please help!

AirDroid froze yet again when I tried to upload a bit more music. It's pretty safe to transfer with 250 songs but it gets dicey anything over in my experience. I got a notification on my Active that the SD card was unexpectedly removed (however I did not touch it) and then I got a message that I could safely remove the SD card. Now my total space reads '0.00 B' under storage settings. However this happened yesterday too. I don't remember what I did but I got my music to show up again on my SD card but now it won't work. I've tried everything I can think of. Unmounting the card and mounting again. Unmounting, shutting off the Active, removing the card, reinserting it, mounting, etc. Nothing is working. Not only that, if I simply restart the phone I get a notification that the SD card was unexpectedly removed.

Please help! I don't want to format the card and lose all my progress. I was at 40 GB of music onto my card. I only had 10 GB to go. AirDroid is amazing but it drives me crazy that I have to baby my transfers onto it. And now I'm getting this issue again. Thanks.

UPDATE: I think this SD card is causing my Active a headache. I cleared some SD apps/files(?) in the application manager. I unmounted the SD card, removed it, reinserted, mounted, and for a few glorious seconds it showed all my files back on my SD card. Then immediately back to 0 with the same you have unexpectedly removed the disc notifcation followed by a safe to remove one. Also when I go into application manager it either quits immediately or does so when I swipe to sd card in that panel and even randomly restarts my phone.

So my SD card is corrupt? What is going on. I just want to not have to format the card and lose all my progress.

Last edited:

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to bump my own thread but I'm surprised no one responded to my last post.

Just wanted to say that I was able to return my last SD card to the store I bought it at and get a 32 GB one instead. Perhaps I ruined the last card myself (or more likely AirDroid did by giving me errors/issues during transfers). I would still like to hear from someone who can shed light on what exactly happened to my original SD card. Basically I'd get messages from failed AirDroid transfers when I attempted to transfer what was apparently too many music files at time. (I'm not even talking that many. Perhaps 30 albums at most.)

I'm back at using AirDroid however being very cautious and transferring about 10 albums at a time. 3 albums so far that uploaded the first time with no issues have not worked this second round. The rest of my music so far has transfered smoothly.