Xperia Arc - But generic question about recovery mode nandroid backups (after Rooting / flashing)

Nmid

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've dipped my toes into the rooting/flashing waters and have been doing some reading for the past 6 days...

I did jump the gun on day 2 and flashed + rooted (strangely in that order, which means I must have rooted my phone ages ago.. and then locked my bootloader after flashing..?)...
I do have Rom manager installed... but I don't quite recall how I ended up flashing the stock rom onto the phone..
Anyways, as I did seem to reset my phone, I upgraded all the apk packs and I'm pretty happy with the speed upgrade + ext2 internal space expansion.

As I now want to create a nandroid backup, so I can always come back to my current status, when I want a clean reinstall..!
My main question is that as I seem to have skipped creating a CWM recovery... if I do so now, will I loose all my data and go back to the basic stock rom?

The problem I'm facing right now is that I'm unable to boot into the recovery mode using either
"adb reboot recovery" or the power on + vol buttons / menu button.
(which means that I don't have the recovery mode installed.....)

So.... will I loose my current upgrades + phone settings (reset into factory mode), if I flash the recovery mode?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I've dipped my toes into the rooting/flashing waters and have been doing some reading for the past 6 days...

I did jump the gun on day 2 and flashed + rooted (strangely in that order, which means I must have rooted my phone ages ago.. and then locked my bootloader after flashing..?)...
I do have Rom manager installed... but I don't quite recall how I ended up flashing the stock rom onto the phone..
Anyways, as I did seem to reset my phone, I upgraded all the apk packs and I'm pretty happy with the speed upgrade + ext2 internal space expansion.

As I now want to create a nandroid backup, so I can always come back to my current status, when I want a clean reinstall..!
My main question is that as I seem to have skipped creating a CWM recovery... if I do so now, will I loose all my data and go back to the basic stock rom?

The problem I'm facing right now is that I'm unable to boot into the recovery mode using either
"adb reboot recovery" or the power on + vol buttons / menu button.
(which means that I don't have the recovery mode installed.....)

So.... will I loose my current upgrades + phone settings (reset into factory mode), if I flash the recovery mode?

A short answer would be no. You shouldn't lose all that data. I would flash a recovery as soon as possible, and do your backup. Either CWM, TWRP, or AGAT.

Nmid

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Addendum to 1st post...

Using the Rom manager's command to reboot into recovery also doesn't help.
The phone does reboot, but it goes into the Xperia loading screen.
Rom Manager > Recovery Setup ? Current Recovery : ClockworkMod 5.x.x.x.

When I clicked on that to confirm, it shows that the recover already installed are :
CWM Recovery
TWRP

I then tried the "install/update recovery"
but it shows my device (LT15i / Xperia Arc) not listed
Selected "Device not listed above"
It threw up a box saying
"LT15i doesn't have an officially supported CWM recovery yet... Have you installed a clockworkmod based recovery yet".

Gah.. Ok, memory getting jogged a bit.

cm-9.1.0-anzu.zip was put in the SD card folder... (along with the stock rom called > LT15i_4.1.B.0.587_Generic Global World.7z"
so I clicked "yes"

It asked me confirm the version (2.x or 3.x+)
Got the message "Rom manager has been set up to use your existing recovery installation".

Still doesn't boot into it... So it's obvious I don't have the recovery mod installed.. gah.

Time to do some more self research.

Ps - Sometimes writing out your problem does organise one's overactive brain a bit :)

Update : using X-parts to install CWM
update : nope, that didn't work either.

Update : ok, using How to Install ClockworkMod Recovery on the Sony Xperia Arc - TheUnlockr RecoverX now.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Addendum to 1st post...

Using the Rom manager's command to reboot into recovery also doesn't help.
The phone does reboot, but it goes into the Xperia loading screen.
Rom Manager > Recovery Setup ? Current Recovery : ClockworkMod 5.x.x.x.

When I clicked on that to confirm, it shows that the recover already installed are :
CWM Recovery
TWRP

I then tried the "install/update recovery"
but it shows my device (LT15i / Xperia Arc) not listed
Selected "Device not listed above"
It threw up a box saying
"LT15i doesn't have an officially supported CWM recovery yet... Have you installed a clockworkmod based recovery yet".

Gah.. Ok, memory getting jogged a bit.

cm-9.1.0-anzu.zip was put in the SD card folder... (along with the stock rom called > LT15i_4.1.B.0.587_Generic Global World.7z"
so I clicked "yes"

It asked me confirm the version (2.x or 3.x+)
Got the message "Rom manager has been set up to use your existing recovery installation".

Still doesn't boot into it... So it's obvious I don't have the recovery mod installed.. gah.

Time to do some more self research.

Ps - Sometimes writing out your problem does organise one's overactive brain a bit :)

Update : using X-parts to install CWM
update : nope, that didn't work either.

Update : ok, using How to Install ClockworkMod Recovery on the Sony Xperia Arc - TheUnlockr RecoverX now.

Wouldn't flashing a recovery override all of that anyway?

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

Nmid

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
SUCCESS...

Thanks GolfDriver .... for lending an ear.

Ok basically (I now recollect), I was scared of flashing my phone on day 2, so I never installed the recovery mod earlier...

Ironical, considering I noobishly did flash a custom rom anyway.. without having a recovery !

Currently doing a nandroid backup through the recovery mode.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
SUCCESS...

Thanks GolfDriver .... for lending an ear.

Ok basically (I now recollect), I was scared of flashing my phone on day 2, so I never installed the recovery mod earlier...

Ironical, considering I noobishly did flash a custom rom anyway.. without having a recovery !

Currently doing a nandroid backup through the recovery mode.

It is what we are all here for... You are welcome.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae