From an experienced user flashing a ROM...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just want to quickly relate what happened to me yesterday. I decided to flash a new ROM to my S3, and it wound up to be a bad flash. I then thought, 'OK, I have another that I want to try, so I will flash that one instead'. I rebooted into recovery, began to flash ROM 2, and I found out the hard way it was a corrupted file. A whole new breed of awesome there. About that time I needed to leave for work, so on the way out the door, I went to my backup of my ROM. Went to reinstall it, and lo and behold, the backup wouldn't work (still trying to figure out why), then luckliy, as I still has the original ROM on my Sd card, I reflashed that. Got everything to work...kind of. I had my cell radios, but not 3G/4G. By that time I was a few minutes late to work, so I figured I would stop, as something was better than nothing.

I kept tweaking it all day, restoring 3G/4G but gaining problems with lag (my first ever significant lag). Tried cleared cache, then dalvik and cache, still nothing helped. I finally went the factory reset (FYI I hate doing that. Resets are over suggested and IMO should only be used as a last resort, in this case, mine). The lag was fixed, but having lost all of my data, I figured today was the day to flash my updated stock kernels and such as I had nothing to lose, and I would fix all my other issues later.

As of this typing, I am back up and running clean on stock rooted, about to flash my original ROM (all the 'fun' I had yesterday just prompted me to stick with what works). You know, if it isn't broke, don't fix it....lol

Anyone who is a noob, I just wanted to relate this saying that even experienced users have trouble sometimes, and while this sounds not so much fun, I still think that if you are inclined to root and flash ROMs, do so, just do your research, ask any questions if you are unsure, we are all here to help. I was lucky that I had something on me to temporarily fix my issue (I highly suggest for you to do the same), and having experience to know what to do and when to do it.

Last edited:

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't agree more with this!!

I've had my fair share of mishaps when flashing ROMs. Sometimes things just happen and it's best not to freak out about it and just take your time to fix it with what you have. I personally always keep copies of ROMs (that I know work) on my phone at all times just in case something happens.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't agree more with this!!

I've had my fair share of mishaps when flashing ROMs. Sometimes things just happen and it's best not to freak out about it and just take your time to fix it with what you have. I personally always keep copies of ROMs (that I know work) on my phone at all times just in case something happens.

You said it best with not freaking out. I knew nothing was completely wrong as I flashed ROMs fit for my device and carrier. Just hiccups. I think I am going to carry a stock on me as well. Never hurts to have options when in a situation like this.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
There there plenty of times... As you mentioned, I always try and keep a stockish version or my stock/rooted build on device or computer for standby just in case...

Glad to hear your back up and running.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There there plenty of times... As you mentioned, I always try and keep a stockish version or my stock/rooted build on device or computer for standby just in case...

Glad to hear your back up and running.

More frustrating than anything. I didn't realize how much I use my phone to spend time...lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair