When I bought it, my device was at android 4.0.4 and after an OTA it was updated to 4.1.2.

If I do a factory reset, will I go back to 4.0.4?

Thx
    07-04-2013 06:40 AM
    No it will not. If you need to revert back you'll need to browse the forum or wait for someone to post who knows how to as I don't.

Sent from my Smooth Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    drgt likes this.
    07-04-2013 11:19 AM
    Ok. So if I need to revert back before OTA, I need to manually install previous ROM using Odin? Will that advance my flash counter, so that warranty is void? If yes, how do I get back to "out of the box" state?

Also, if I root the phone (keep stock ROM), will I go back to "out of the box" state if I do a factory reset from the settings?

Thx
    07-15-2013 02:06 AM
    Ok. So if I need to revert back before OTA, I need to manually install previous ROM using Odin? Will that advance my flash counter, so that warranty is void? If yes, how do I get back to "out of the box" state?

Also, if I root the phone (keep stock ROM), will I go back to "out of the box" state if I do a factory reset from the settings?

Thx
    What device do you have? I know it's a Samsung device since you are referring to Odin. General rule of thumb is that if you install a stock ROM with stock kernel via Odin you will not increase the flash counter. If you increase your flash counter and send it in for repair the manufacturer could deny warranty. Also, you can't factory reset and return to "out of the box" state if you are rooted. You need to install a stock ROM that is not rooted to be back on out of the box software.
    drgt likes this.
    07-15-2013 12:36 PM
    It is a bit unclear to me what a factory reset will do and what will not do.

I guess this "The Android version is restored to the shipped version and all updates are uninstalled" quoted here: Complete Guide to Resetting Your Android Phone | Cricket Wireless is not true then.
    07-15-2013 06:52 PM
    I guess this "The Android version is restored to the shipped version and all updates are uninstalled" quoted here: Complete Guide to Resetting Your Android Phone | Cricket Wireless is not true then.
    Yes, that's incorrect. People often suggest a factory reset immediately after an OS upgrade to make sure a device runs as smoothly as possible (by clearing out all of the leftover junk data from the previous OS version). The OS remains upgraded, but all previously downloaded/installed apps will be gone, and any updated stock apps (like Gmail or Google Calendar) will revert back to their original version.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    07-15-2013 10:51 PM
    That article is kind of correct. Emphasis on kind of. Clearing the phone's cache in recovery mode will most likely help out just as much, and won't erase apps and associated data. If you do have a Samsung device, the reset will just wipe all user settings, apps and related data. It wipes clean the CURRENT version of the ROM that you have on.

Clearing cache and resets are typically done when new ROMs are flashed, and at the very least a cache wipe should be done after an OTA update. B. Diddy is right that the data conflicts with itself, and can cause problems.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    07-15-2013 11:30 PM
    Hey Golfdriver97, you changed your avatar! Cool.

So do you mean that some devices might actually downgrade the OS if you factory reset it? So in other words, if you bought a phone that came with ICS 4.0, then upgraded it to JB 4.1.1, then did a factory reset, it might go back to ICS? I didn't think that was possible, at least on stock Android--that's what I was focusing on. Not being a rooter, I can't comment on custom ROMs ...
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    07-15-2013 11:35 PM
    Hey Golfdriver97, you changed your avatar! Cool.

So do you mean that some devices might actually downgrade the OS if you factory reset it? So in other words, if you bought a phone that came with ICS 4.0, then upgraded it to JB 4.1.1, then did a factory reset, it might go back to ICS? I didn't think that was possible, at least on stock Android--that's what I was focusing on. Not being a rooter, I can't comment on custom ROMs ...
    Yeah, changed the avatar.....people kept asking what year and sub model VW I was driving....lol
    No, you are correct on that. If you upgrade say the Moto X from 4.3 to 5.0 and then do a reset, 5.0 will still be on the device. I was saying the article was kinda right on how to fix lag issues. A reset will fix lag, but that is almost like taking a patient with a bacterial infection and as opposed to giving antibiotics, lets throw them into radiation.
    07-16-2013 01:19 AM
    Sorry. Addendum... Custom ROMs are the same way. Reset and the ROM is still in place. To the OP; to continue with a doctor's analogy, resets are over-prescribed.
    07-16-2013 01:21 AM
    Ah, I see. Yeah, I was going to mention the partition cache wipe, but wasn't sure if I should start down that road, since it's a little more complicated to do.

Stop teasing us--I want a Moto X so that I can upgrade it from 4.3 to 5.0!
    07-16-2013 01:26 AM
    Ah, I see. Yeah, I was going to mention the partition cache wipe, but wasn't sure if I should start down that road, since it's a little more complicated to do.

Stop teasing us--I want a Moto X so that I can upgrade it from 4.3 to 5.0!
    Sorry....
    I was actually hoping you wold have liked the medicine analogy....lol
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-16-2013 01:31 AM
    Much appreciated!
    07-16-2013 01:46 AM