Does the phone prioritize using wifi over cellular data when both are available?

Ms Charli

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I have just an all around question. When you have your WiFi and your 4G on and you are connected to WIFI which one will ur phone use first? Or is your phone actually using both WiFi and 4G? I always thought it was WiFi then 4G if WiFi is unavailable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Last edited by a moderator:

nazem

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Just a general ?

If, you're connected to wifi, that's what your phone will use. If not, it'll drop back to your cellular data.

Ms Charli

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

So its not pulling using both if they are both on? Correct?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using AC Forums mobile app

Ms Charli

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

Are you turning off mobile data because u want to or because it saves battery etc...? Why turn it off if its not effecting anything?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Are you turning off mobile data because u want to or because it saves battery etc...? Why turn it off if its not effecting anything?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

Mobile data uses more battery.

Posted via Android Central App

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

If I don?t need data that means I don?t need 3G (4G?s a bit behind over here!), so as well as switching off data I also switch off 3G and use 2G instead.

Makes a big difference battery wise.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

I have just an all around question. When you have your WiFi and your 4G on and you are connected to WIFI which one will ur phone use first? Or is your phone actually using both WiFi and 4G? I always thought it was WiFi then 4G if WiFi is unavailable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

As stated previously, if your phone is within range of your wifi's signal it will use that instead of your 4g as it is much more efficient to do so. Now when you fall out of wifi range your phone will aitomatically default back to 4g.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

It especially uses more batgery if there is little to no signal at all. A phone will kill itself trying to find or maintain a dead/weak signal.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Now correct me if I am wrong but while on wifi there is no need to turn off mobile data because you are not using it, you are using wifi. You will not save battery life.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Now correct me if I am wrong but while on wifi there is no need to turn off mobile data because you are not using it, you are using wifi. You will not save battery life.

The radio chip will still remain on but it won't transmit unless you send/receive mms as they can't be sent or received over wifi.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

You may want to check to see how your carrier handles MMS. IIRC, many times picture and video messages will be sent over mobile data rather than WiFi so if you turn off your mobile data you won't be able to send or receive them. I don't think there will be very much, if any, noticeable battery savings from turning off your mobile data unless you're in an area with bad reception.

deb0898

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site

I have asked this question many times, so I decided to get in touch with EE, Virgin & Vodafone and they all say mobile data kicks in first then wi fi. so if you want to use wi fi u have to turn mobile data off or it will use data first. this explains y I have been using all my mobile data up. all the time I thought I was using wi fi I haven't been.

deb0898

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site

u av to turn mobile data off while using wi fi or it will use ur data first. I have just been on the phone to Virgin, EE and Vodafone all have said data is used b4 wi fi.. this explains y I av been using all my data up when I thought I was using wi fi

calmissile

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site

u av to turn mobile data off while using wi fi or it will use ur data first. I have just been on the phone to Virgin, EE and Vodafone all have said data is used b4 wi fi.. this explains y I av been using all my data up when I thought I was using wi fi

Let's make sure that some of the misinformation on here is corrected. I will address only Verizon and the Galaxy S5. It probably applies to the later Galaxy phones as well.

I was getting large overage data charges from Verizon but did not have time to figure it out. Was to the tune of $100 to $300 per month. My data plan is about 12 GB per month. My wife claimed that her phone was always on Wi-Fi and could not be her. I have a network extender at work that I use for internet access that is also on the plan.

Tonight I finally had the time and temperment to drill down and see what the heck was going on. Going to My Verizon I looked at the data usage of all three lines, my cell, her cell, and the network extender (which uses a cell connection for data). My cell used less than 1 GB. The work extender barely used 2 GB. Her cell used over 12 GB causing the overages.

I used the chat feature on My Verizon to talk to a live person and get some answers.... The bottom line was that her Mobile Data feature in settings was turned on. The guy told me how it works and advised me on how to turn off her Mobile Data feature. Basically it kills her ability to use the Verizon data plan.

When she is home all day and used her phone for internet data, even though she has Wi-Fi turned on, the phone/carrier defaults to using Verizon for all data requests even though our free W-Fi link to the internet is available.

The important thing to remember is............... If you have Mobile Data enabled in the settings menu, the default will be to make the connection via Verizon data link rather than the Wi_fi network.

Wifey might be p*ssed that she has to turn the Mobile Data feature on whenever she leaves the house and turn it back off when at home, but that's life! I was getting tired of paying an extra $200-$300/per month because the default is to use Verizon for apps that use the data downlinks.

I think she still loves me. :)