Is there a way of force stopping a specific app via an icon on the home screen?

Kizzume

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I've thought there might be a shell script I could run, maybe get an app that can run shell scripts from an icon on the home screen--but I don't know what that script would need to be, since it couldn't be about killing a process because that process ID is probably going to be different every time, and I don't know if it would require root. Rooting my phone is not an option.

I'm going to assume though that there's probably no answer to this and that I'll just have to keep going in by hand to force stop the app via prefs/apps/name-of-app/force stop. I just wish these app makers would have an exit option. Twitter and Vine and Growlr are examples of these programs with this kind of behavior. Facebook as well, but that'll just reload itself when you force quit it because it's a special "system app". I mean, I'm not expecting them to exit when I just go to the home screen, that would be silly, but I'd like SOME sort of option to close them besides going through the hassle of force stopping them via the OS preferences.

I want there to be NO chance whatsoever that these programs are going to access data in some way once I'm done using them. I have no problem with whatever the programs want to do when I WANT them running, but when I'm done using them, I want to be able to quit them, and it has nothing to do with wanting to have more free memory.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree, and that?s what I really miss about Symbian: open an app, use it, when finished exit and closed. Of course, you can leave apps running in the background if you wish and simply switch between them just as you do on your PC and its that degree of functionality which I truly mourn for.

I?ve been running Android for the past seven months now and it?s the one thing about the OS that I just can?t get along with: a total lack of control over whats running and when. Apart from this I love the platform, but in its own way I find this lack of control quite stressful.