08-02-2018 01:55 PM
55 123
tools
    It sounds too simple, sometimes its a matter of not being connected to a network......somehow, some way you became disconnected. It's happened to me before, I go in and do a network search and reconnect and Wham-Bam, I'm back in pic swapping business. Hope this helps.
    01-09-2014 01:40 PM
    Thank you Thank you Thank you Sandi!!!!
    01-12-2014 12:53 PM
    Amazingly, after months of frustration, turning ON the powersave mode worked for me!
    Devlin Idell likes this.
    02-26-2014 03:34 AM
    Can you tell me what this means?

"SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk 4 beta"

I just switched to this Samsung mega and when I try and send an image in a text, it says it is converting it to multimedia and then does not go through when i send it. Instead, the circle will just keep spinning.

This brings up 2 questions:

1) Why is it converting anything and not just sending it as a jpeg

2) Why do I have to switch on data to send a picture instead of using wifi.
    03-06-2014 12:10 PM
    I tried the turning off power saver. then turn off wi-fi and comb of either with no success. I use net 10 an wonder is this isn't the problem
    03-13-2014 02:37 PM
    Can you tell me what this means?

"SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk 4 beta"

I just switched to this Samsung mega and when I try and send an image in a text, it says it is converting it to multimedia and then does not go through when i send it. Instead, the circle will just keep spinning.

This brings up 2 questions:

1) Why is it converting anything and not just sending it as a jpeg
    It is converting because you send it as an SMS/MMS message. SMS/MMS cannot handle JPEGs.

2) Why do I have to switch on data to send a picture instead of using wifi.
    Because SMS/MMS only works as mobile data via mobile networks. Even when you're on Wifi, if you send and receive SMS/MMS it will only do so via mobile networks. That's why (mobile) data needs to be switched on. SMS/MMS requires your device to connect directly with the nearest mobile 'node', a.k.a. cell tower/repeater.
    What you do via mobile networks eats into your monthly dataplan. If you have one. This is why sending and receiving media (photo, video, and audio), which are huge files compared to pure text messages (which are tiny), via SMS/MMS is to be avoided if at all possible. I use it as a last resort. When there's no other way/m.o., i.e. WiFi. If you must send media via SMS/MMS you may want to send public downloadlinks to those files in your cloud (like free Dropbox or MEGA) instead of the real files themselves. Downloadlinks are a couple KBs in size. The media files they represent are at least a couple hundred KBs (lo-res pictures) up to hundreds of MBs (for hi-res videos). Each.
    SMS/MMS is by far the most expensive protocol for sending and receiving media. And the slowest.

If that bothers you, you may want to try instant messaging. It's like SMS/MMS on steroids. Connects via WiFi. So your dataplan is not impacted however many and/or large messages you send and receive. Let's you send simple text messages (self destructing if you want*), hundreds of photos in one go, or hi-res videos of up to 1 Gigabyte! That's the free app Telegram for you. And the free app Viber also offers free audio and video calls via WiFi. They both work on Android and on Apple's iOS.

*ideal for conducting an illicit affair: your racy messages can never be found by your lover's wife on his phone. Because they simply aren't there to be found.
    03-14-2014 12:39 AM
    Actually MMS can handle any file (if it's not too large). "Converting to multimedia" means that you're on a text (SMS) app (that's what texting is - 160 characters max of text), so to send a jpg or pdf or anything but up to 160 characters of text it has to send it as MMS (which just sends the file to a server, and puts a link to the file in the text message - which is what you press to get the picture - you download it from the server.

It should have been designed to work over wifi, but the cellular carriers designed it, and they don't get paid if you use wifi.

"SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk 4 beta" is someone's signature. They're using an app called Tapatalk 4 beta to read and post here and, evidently SwiftKey as a keyboard. You can put just about anything in as a signature in those apps. The current version (4.4.8) is at https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lkpro.activity You can install it on your phone and use it.
    03-14-2014 10:04 PM
    After looking and trying this and that, I found that if I shut off the WiFi and turn on Data, the pictures come thru just fine with no other adjustments to the phone. Dottie
    04-07-2014 06:32 PM
    After looking and trying this and that, I found that if I shut off the WiFi and turn on Data, the pictures come thru just fine with no other adjustments to the phone. Dottie
    That is also the slowest and most expensive method, and it is limited in file size.
    04-08-2014 09:15 AM
    Thank you as soon as I turned off the power save mode it fixed it right away!!!
    05-20-2014 07:40 PM
    I have straight talk and I have tried everything but nothing is working. I called them twice, the first time with no success, but the second time it started working after, but now it doesn't anymore!
    06-24-2014 11:50 AM
    Does anyone know what the solution is to be able to send and receive picture messages?
    Ok soo I was having the same issues with my sch i535 or s3 I recently discovered it was my sim card 4g lte I switched out my card and boom problem solved I tried for a week straight looking for solutions to the issue that everyone seems to be having and thought let me just try this and it worked soo try replacing ur sim card and c if that helps let me know how u make out
    08-28-2014 08:58 PM
    Having the same problem. Found out that I had 39 pictures in the photo cache. Cleared them out and mms (pictures, multi send to and receive by) now work. I have no idea how All of those pictures got there. Actually the pictures all looked the same. Kinda like a chess pawn.
    09-09-2014 12:09 PM
    Did you turn on your 4G?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-10-2014 08:03 PM
    Cannot send pictures via text on my Samsung Galaxy S3, I have tried everything already on this thread and it still will not work. The following I have already tried:
    -confirmed that data is on in settings
    -turned off and turned on power saving mode (tried to send both ways)
    -turned wifi off and on (tried to send both ways)
    12-03-2014 06:41 AM
    Go to your carrier's store and ask for help. There are a few things that could be causing the problem - wrong data in the APN, for example, which differs by carrier.
    12-03-2014 05:03 PM
    I found that if I go on to mobile data and not wi-fi I get the pic. Don't know why but that works for me
    01-08-2015 01:26 PM
    The link to the file is 2G. The download of the file is internet. If you get the link in the message, switch to the internet and press the link, you'll get the file by wifi or mobile data. Or should, if everything's working right (and after more than 10 years, there are still glitches - and we're not even talking about Apple, which is just one gigantic glitch).

BTW, Vishnu, phones connect to the internet via mobile data or wifi. 2G - text - isn't data, it goes over a voice channel.
    Lindsey Hawkins likes this.
    01-11-2015 09:29 PM
    i did, nothing seems to be working , very frustrating
    02-19-2015 06:57 PM
    Hi ya wen I try sending it says first its too large then says invalid address and won't send and I've shut off wifi and just tried using 3g and still don't work
    02-20-2015 10:20 AM
    Turning my wifi connection off did the trick. Unfortunately, it's a pain in the **** to have to do this every time. I could not send or receive MMS or Group Texting. If I know I need to send or receive then I have to turn off wifi, but how am I supposed to know in advance someone wants to include me in a text message? What a pain!!! This wasn't even a problem until the last month or so, so it must have something to do with some update at some point. Grrr.
    06-07-2015 05:28 PM
    each time I receive an email with a picture image, a small box appears with a cross inside and no image.
    06-30-2015 04:57 PM
    I had the same problem with downloading a picture from my email so I could send the pic through messenger. I restarted my phone and was able to download pic.
    07-01-2015 11:49 AM
    OK so i have found a SOLUTION to this problem that worked for me. I hope this works for others. I got this from the T Mobile page. I have a Galaxy S5 SM G900T, and whenever someone texted me a picture, I would get a download button, and when I pressed it, it would say downloading for along time and I would never get the picture. If you follow the steps below to add an new Access Point Name, you can leave the old one and try this new one, and if this doesn't solve your problem, just click the old APN to go back to what you were using before.

I have a Verizon Galaxy S5 with a t-mobile sim in there. When i first put in the settings that everyone was giving me, Calls, Text and Internet worked but i could not send/receive MMS/Picture messages. Here are some settings i found that worked: (I am talking about adding a new Access point name)

Name: T-Mobile US LTE

APN: fast.t-mobile.com

Proxy: Not Set (leave blank)

Port: Not set (leave blank)

Username: Not Set (leave blank)

Password: Not set (leave blank)

Server: Not set (leave blank)

MMSC : (I cannot type a link, but this web addy isn't a link, it has to be put in the phone, so type the following starting with: H T T P : / /) mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

Multimedia message Proxy: Not set (leave blank)

Multimedia message Port : Not set (leave blank)

MCC: 310

MNC: 260

Authentication type : None

***NOW THIS HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART I HAVE FOUND THAT WORKS. ADD IT EXACTLY LIKE BELOW, NO SPACES****

APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri,admin,mobile

APN Protocol : ipv4/IPv6

APN roaming protocol : IPv4

Bearer: Unspecified

Mobile virtual network operator type: None

press the menu button and click save. Try to send/receive an MMS/Picture Message
    08-02-2015 10:21 PM
    Yep, switching power saving off and then a restart did the trick on my GFs mums' phone. It was also displaying the wrong area in the weather app, I noticed, and that also updated to the correct location after the restart. You nailed it, Suzi - thanks for posting the answer
    08-13-2015 06:26 AM
55 123