iPhone to S4, Fix your group texting

MJ209

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
After spending days on fixing the group text issue after switching from an iphone to S4, I feel it's my duty to to post the solution(s) here to save all future switchers the pain in the a** I went through...

Problem: Users switching from iPhone to S4 (or basically iOs to Android) will not be able to receive texts from other iPhone users mainly in a group text. The problem is that the user who is switching to android will still have his/her number linked to iMessage (apples messaging service). When other iphone users send a text to the now android user, the iphone still believes the user has an iphone and will send an imessage instead of a text message. Android phones will obviously not be able to receive that "imessage."

Solution (s): It seems different solutions work for different users. I will list the solution from less to most extreme. So go in order from top to bottom until your texting starts to work.

1. If you still have access to your iPhone, make sure its connected to wifi and turn off your imessage under message settings (may take up to 24-48 hours to take effect).
2. Go to https://appleid.apple.com and unregister your iphone. Also remove your number anywhere it might be listed.
3. Change your Apple ID and Password.
4. Hook up your iphone to itunes and do complete restore.
5. If you don't have access to your old iphone and still have your SIM card. Insert that SIM into a friends iphone and do step 1.
6. Change your number. (This is what I had to do! :mad )

Hope this helps any future headaches.

Mandy Burr Stewart

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
So after you changed your number were you then able to group text to people with iPhones? I'm having this same problem now and I'm still in my 14 day grace period where I can take the phone back. I really like the new S4 Active that I got, but am strongly considering taking it back if I can't get this problem resolved! No group texting is a deal breaker for me!!
Thanks!