So I've had my eye on the newer phones, I know a couple are to come out in the fall. I like Samsung and noticed the S4 had better specs than my tablet, even more it's a good sized phone from the S2. Planning on switching from Virgin Mobile to T-mobile or Cricket just to get it. (I'd rather not spend $400 on the S3 when I can upgrade to a better service and phone). Any thoughts or advice on this decision? Thanks. I kind of feel that with owning a phone like the S4, that probably performs better than my laptop, I would not need another "smart" device for a long while.
    07-09-2013 09:52 PM
    OK after some thought, I am actually considering an unlocked nexus 4 under T-Mobile, straight talk, or Solavei. I can save $300 by just getting the nexus and unlocked which is great for switching around. Idk if it is economical to shell out extra money for any version of the S4 right now despite the long run (cause there will ALWAYS be a better phone).

btw T-Mobile increased the price of S4 again making it less attractive for me on "contract".

Sent from my VM E4GT using Tapatalk 4
    07-20-2013 10:27 AM
    OK after some thought, I am actually considering an unlocked nexus 4 under T-Mobile, straight talk, or Solavei. I can save $300 by just getting the nexus and unlocked which is great for switching around. Idk if it is economical to shell out extra money for any version of the S4 right now despite the long run (cause there will ALWAYS be a better phone).

btw T-Mobile increased the price of S4 again making it less attractive for me on "contract".

As you said, there will always be a better phone after the current better phone is released. For the outright cost of a new device I would recommend a Nexus 4. It's a good phone, at a good price and will receive updates by Google for a while longer. Plus, the money you were going to put toward an S4 or equal device can now be saved for something else, such as accessories.
    07-20-2013 12:02 PM
    As you said, there will always be a better phone after the current better phone is released. For the outright cost of a new device I would recommend a Nexus 4. It's a good phone, at a good price and will receive updates by Google for a while longer. Plus, the money you were going to put toward an S4 or equal device can now be saved for something else, such as accessories.
    Hey thanks for the reply. I may make the decision today considering I spent the last two days researching up-to-date news on the N4. Moto X leaks don't seem that impressive ATM. Its just after I order the unlocked GSM, what carrier to go with :/ That's the plus side however, having choices.

srkmagnus likes this.
    07-20-2013 12:51 PM
    Hey thanks for the reply. I may make the decision today considering I spent the last two days researching up-to-date news on the N4. Moto X leaks don't seem that impressive ATM. Its just after I order the unlocked GSM, what carrier to go with :/ That's the plus side however, having choices.

Choices are always a good thing If you are going with a pay as you go service it might be best to try a few out.

Here are some discussions I found RE: Nexus 4 carrier choices:
    [url]http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/262495-choosing-carrier-new-nexus-4-a.html[url]
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ct-phones.html
    This week's sidebar poll: Are you going prepaid with your Nexus 4? | Android Central - Jerry's blog post/side bar poll for prepaid service using the Nexus 4. Some good suggestions and discussion in the comments regarding prepaid services.

Hopefully this helps a little. If you have any questions feel free to ask around the forums
    Garymeister likes this.
    07-20-2013 01:26 PM
    If you're a fan of Samsung phones then it's a no brainer, since they won't release one for another year. Most of the things that will come out this year probably won't be (much) better spec wise than HTC One or GS4.
    07-20-2013 02:23 PM
    If you're a fan of Samsung phones then it's a no brainer, since they won't release one for another year. Most of the things that will come out this year probably won't be (much) better spec wise than HTC One or GS4.
    Yeah that's what I thought about. I've had just about every type of phone except Motorola. I just bought the Nexus 4 today.15 day return policy so I'll test it out. I figured,eh, I'd root it and ROM it and minus the fancy gimmicks it'll function right under a high end device. The money saver was the big bonus considering all phones go down in price eventually.

I have to admit it was a tough decision this time around. But for the budget the Nexus seemed my ideal first unlocked GSM phone coming from CDMA.

srkmagnus likes this.
    07-20-2013 06:12 PM
    Yeah that's what I thought about. I've had just about every type of phone except Motorola. I just bought the Nexus 4 today.15 day return policy so I'll test it out. I figured,eh, I'd root it and ROM it and minus the fancy gimmicks it'll function right under a high end device. The money saver was the big bonus considering all phones go down in price eventually.

I have to admit it was a tough decision this time around. But for the budget the Nexus seemed my ideal first unlocked GSM phone coming from CDMA.

Let us know how you like the device and if you have any questions.
    07-20-2013 09:39 PM
    If I was forced to buy a phone today I'd probably go with a Nexus 4 as well. I hate touchwiz, haven't had a need for a removable battery ever and bought an SD card that I never really used. Oh and did I mention that I hate touchwiz, I know I can root but my phone was never really stable so I ultimately went back to TW

Hope you'll be happy with your decision.
    Garymeister likes this.
    07-20-2013 09:47 PM
    Let us know how you like the device and if you have any questions.
    Love the device so far, excellent battery life (a day at most). Only gripe is front camera quality. Got 4.3 update a couple days after getting it. Memory has not at all been an issue especially on my N7. Happy, so far. Tmobile has been pretty good as far as services go. Also it seems difficult to root, same as my HTC One V :/ faaastbooot again..........

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-29-2013 05:35 PM
    So far so good. Fast boot wasn't all that bad after a recap. Modding possibilities without a custom ROM on this phone is more than awesome and enough. I'm just disappointed in the $100 price drop, if only I had waited a little longer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    09-03-2013 04:27 PM