Ok so for a couple years here and there I would use an app that would scan my contacts to find if anyone I know has the app too. But sometimes, the results would show people I DO NOT know. I have no idea how, when, or where they came from. I've searched all my contacts and searched all of my Google contacts. I just can not find where these people came from and how they were added to a mysterious place only apps that search my contacts can find. I need help getting to the bottom of this! I recently learned that Google adds people I've contacted via Email to "other" contacts. I turned that feature off now. So please, can anyone give me any pointers or anything that will help me? Even if it's just a maybe idea, I would like them.
    07-11-2013 02:21 AM
    Bump. Anyone have any ideas? T.T
    Michael Vieux likes this.
    07-11-2013 03:07 PM
    Still unsolved...
    07-13-2013 12:14 PM
    Not sure if this is the same thing. When I wanted to export contacts from my phone to Gmail I found hundreds - literally - people I don't know in the file that I exported. As far as I know I have also never even been on the same e-mails as these people. What on earth is going on - and how can I stop it?

Thanks.
    07-14-2013 06:28 AM
    Do you have programs installed like Facebook or G+?

Depending on options you set or choices you made, contacts from those programs, many of whom might not be actual friends, can be included.
    07-14-2013 06:33 AM
    Not sure if this is the same thing. When I wanted to export contacts from my phone to Gmail I found hundreds - literally - people I don't know in the file that I exported. As far as I know I have also never even been on the same e-mails as these people. What on earth is going on - and how can I stop it?

Thanks.
    I'm not sure about that. But on a somewhat related topic, does anyone know how to delete people that you've exported IN to the contacts? Google doesn't see these as "duplicates" so they don't get deleted.

Do you have programs installed like Facebook or G+?

Depending on options you set or choices you made, contacts from those programs, many of whom might not be actual friends, can be included.

Yes I have facebook and G+ has been forced on me. But I know it's not from those programs because I have not added anyone with the names on facebook and on G+ so I have absolutely no clue where or who these people came from. I also made sure the settings for syncing contacts from other apps have been disabled. Unless I'm missing something...
    07-15-2013 02:33 AM
    npark, if you've NOW disabled, but originally selected "sync," is it possible that, while it no longer syncs, it still shows things you originally accepted by default? I'm not sure how that works myself, but I think that is possible and when I look at my own contacts, I sometimes see many that are simply from Facebook or G+, even though I've subsequently stopped sync'ing.
    07-15-2013 06:42 AM
    npark, if you've NOW disabled, but originally selected "sync," is it possible that, while it no longer syncs, it still shows things you originally accepted by default? I'm not sure how that works myself, but I think that is possible and when I look at my own contacts, I sometimes see many that are simply from Facebook or G+, even though I've subsequently stopped sync'ing.
    No I've always had it disabled from the beginning. So it's impossible in that manner.
    07-15-2013 05:22 PM
    Everyone who was ever on cc on an email you replied to has ended up in your gmail contacts.

I wouldn't sweat, just ignore them. They're not causing any hath in there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-15-2013 06:47 PM
    Everyone who was ever on cc on an email you replied to has ended up in your gmail contacts.

I wouldn't sweat, just ignore them. They're not causing any hath in there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    I've never CC anyone in gmail. And the people I found aren't even remotely connected to me.
    07-15-2013 10:29 PM