Suggestions for good gaming tablet?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Still thinking about getting hubby a tablet. He likes to play games so I thought I would find out if there is a tablet more geared to games. I don't want him using data to play online and I realize you can download any game you want, but I don't want to go broke doing it. I thought maybe some tablets are more for gamers and might come with more games on it. It needs to work on the Verizon network and I would be looking over on SWAPPA for a used one. Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any reason why you need it to work on the Verizon network, since you also mentioned that you don't want him using data to play online? Unless he wants to play some kind of network-connected game like a multiplayer role-playing game, he doesn't really need a data connection. Some games do require a connection when you first start them in order to check the license, so that can be a minor pain if he's not near a wifi hotspot.

You can't go wrong with a Nexus 7, and they're generally getting cheaper in anticipation of the next generation Nexus 7 that should be coming out soon. The Nexus 7 is nice and portable, with a fast processor and a good screen.

You can also check out daily deal websites like Icemonkey.com: Deals 'Till Sold Out: Electronics, Home & Garden, Jewelry, Toys & More, which often have refurbished older tablets for cheap. Icemonkey currently has the Motorola Xoom and Xoom 2 tablets on sale for about $200. These tablets are 4G compatible and can be added to your Verizon account if you want. They should be fast enough to play most games, although really complex graphics-intense games might be a little slow.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
He's an OTR trucker and needs to connect via VZW for anything Internet related. I've learned truck stop WI-FI is not a good option, slow, dropped connections etc. Got several inputs on this and so we're looking at one that can be hooked up to our Share Everything plan. He wants to be able to do a few things online and keep in touch w/his sisters via Facebook. I'll check out Ice Monkey, thanks! We just can't afford for him to do online games that might run us up over our plan. I don't want to have to be monitoring that constantly. I'm looking for a tablet that (hopefully) comes with a good selection of games that can be played w/o WI-FI so he doesn't have to buy a bunch of them through G-Play, although I'm sure he'll find a few that way ;) I'm hoping for suggestions from people like you for a decent tablet for him that's geared for gamers.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Like the above poster said, the nexus 7 is the way to go. It is cheap, and it has a really good performance for its price range.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to get one of those for *me!* LOL! But it looks like VZW doesn't "allow" them (allow possibly the wrong word)? I could be reading it all wrong but if you go to their site --> Shopping and click the Samsung on the left, no 8's come up? I don't know if they just don't have them or if that's not a device they support or what the deal is there.