I'm a very satisfied user of a GNex on Verizon, but I've been thinking lately that it might be time to upgrade. Does anyone have any suggestions on what phones are available now on Verizon that come closest to the Nexus experience? I've been installing alternate ROMs since a week after I got my G1, and I'd never consider a phone that couldn't be completely unlocked. Out where I live, though, Verizon is the only option for decent service. Add to that the fact that I'm grandfathered in with unlimited data, and I won't be switching carriers anytime soon. Thanks!
    07-19-2013 01:24 PM
    As long as you're choosing a popular device there will be a development community for it. Those guys will unlock the bootloaders within a few weeks (usually) of the device hitting retail. No matter how smart the corperate guys are who put the locks in place, the community always seems to outsmart them.
    After you get a phone unlocked you can toss CM on it and it'll be quite close to a Nexus experience. They're pretty agile about getting something stable(ish) ported to a major device in a hurry. Paranoid Android is also another solid option for an altered stock experience.
    Further, let's not forget about our friends at Motorola. The Moto X should be coming with a very stock experience if these leaks are correct. Motorola, being a Google company, SHOULD also be fairly lax as far as restrictions about bootloader locking and the like. I don't know anything for certain, however I wouldn't be surprised to see it be as easy as "fastboot oem unlock".
    07-19-2013 08:21 PM
    Thanks for the reply, Scott, but that's not exactly correct. There have been several high-profile phones over the last couple years that have either taken a long time to crack or have never been completely cracked. Right now, for instance, there's a large unclaimed bounty over at XDA for anyone who can crack the bootloader on the Galaxy S4 - the latest update not only re-locked the bootloader, but even removed root access from people who already had it.

So...does anyone have any recommendations on what the best fully unlocked phones are right now?
    07-22-2013 07:32 PM
    The thing is, as is normal with Verizon, most OTAs that they release after the cracking of a phone will most likely lock the bootloader up tight once again. Happened with the droid DNA, as well. It took 4 months for the development community to release an updated method, with Verizon releasing yet another OTA in the middle of that process. With the s4 being such a popular phone, it is very likely that the development community is very hard at work getting it unlocked. That being said, the only other phones on the Verizon network I would assume would be worth the time of day is the note 2, and the unreleased HTC one. The note 2 already has an unlock method. And I believe shortly after release, the HTC one will as well.

Jennifer Stough
    Forums Moderator
    Droid DNA
    07-22-2013 08:07 PM
    The thing is, as is normal with Verizon, most OTAs that they release after the cracking of a phone will most likely lock the bootloader up tight once again. Happened with the droid DNA, as well. It took 4 months for the development community to release an updated method, with Verizon releasing yet another OTA in the middle of that process. With the s4 being such a popular phone, it is very likely that the development community is very hard at work getting it unlocked. That being said, the only other phones on the Verizon network I would assume would be worth the time of day is the note 2, and the unreleased HTC one. The note 2 already has an unlock method. And I believe shortly after release, the HTC one will as well.

Jennifer Stough
    Forums Moderator
    Droid DNA
    I'm curious to see whether or not HTC will allow it to be unlocked via HTC Dev. I guess it's more of whether or not Verizon allows it.
    07-23-2013 12:41 AM