Hey guys, I'm a couple weeks new to Android and smartphones in general and I'm loving it! Unfortunately I have run into a bit of a snag, I am on the Samsung Galaxy SII T989 (T-mobile) and I am on Jellybean 4.1.2. I enjoy the stock messaging app because it is simple and I assume resource friendly (I like efficiency in my electronics), but I'm having a hard time making a custom message notification when I receive a text message that is forwarded from my gmail using phone#@tmomail.net. It shows up as just *myemail*@gmail.com so when I add as a contact it adds the email and I have the option to customize the tones for messaging but it doesn't work, I assume because there is no phone #. I even tried to find the number that is used to forward an email through sms and all I got from t-mobile was 500, which didn't work either. Do you guys have any ideas?

I know that non-stock messaging apps like go sms and handcent are capable of doing this easily but I'm weary of moving from stock due to other messaging apps possibly using more resources, but if anyone has any suggestions for other apps I'm all ears as well if no one is able to help me get a notification using stock. What I also like about stock messaging btw is the feature where if you get a text message a circle with a message icon appears on your screen and you can just swipe that to unlock and go directly to your thread with that person, if there were other good apps that did that and the notification that would be great.

Sorry for what seems like a wall of text, I really appreciate any help you guys can offer, thanks!
    07-23-2013 02:47 AM
    When you go through the settings to set the ringtone does it look like the ringtone is set? Or do you not have the option to switch ringtones at all?

You can download Rings Extended - Play Store and use that to set the ringtone. See if that helps make the ringtone stick or be set when you change it.
    jboom91 likes this.
    07-23-2013 07:32 AM
    In my phone settings I have the option to set default ringtones and notification sounds, in my messaging app I have an option to change all incoming messages to a different sound than the notification sound, and then in my contacts (which is how I set custom tones) I have the option for each contact to set a custom ring tone and message tone. I'm guessing my messaging app ignore's my incoming sms from email because it doesn't have a phone number...
    07-23-2013 12:54 PM
    I think you are right. If I can think of a solution I will let you know.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    jboom91 likes this.
    07-23-2013 03:22 PM
    Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help.
    07-23-2013 04:03 PM