Samsung Galaxy Discover

versys rob

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I am looking for a free ap that will allow me to have an FM radio tuner on my galaxy discover. My previous samsung cell had FM tuner built in. I just spent quite some time searching in the google play store but can't find free FM tuner. HELP.
p.s. Just did a search of the andriod forum and found out that samsung does not have build in FM tuners anymore. Why not? I like my local FM stations. I don't have data plan so I can't stream internet radio.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
FM receivers are just not in high demand any more, so there's no incentive for phone makers to add another component to the already densely packed (and battery-sucking) circuitry.

lkiol

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
i can't find any help with this phone either and i've been having a few problems, so i'll start slow: how do i remove the blank home ('idle') screens that keep appearing? it's up to 3 blank ones now in addition to the 2 i have my apps and widgets on

Last edited:

UniversalMagnetic

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey everybody. I just got my Discover about 2 or 3 months ago. So far i really like it (except for not being able to move apps to the SD card). I decided to join because every time I look up something I run into this site. Since this is my first smart phone I have a lot of stuff to figure out. I was playing a game yesterday and everything on the screen stopped. After a few minutes I restarted the phone. To shorten this up now I seem to be stuck on the system recovery screen. I tried "reboot system now" and "wipe cache partition" but neither worked. I'm trying not to use the factory reset, but will if that's the best option.I know I'm new, but if I can help you guys with anything I will do my best since there doesn't seem to much info on this phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey everybody. I just got my Discover about 2 or 3 months ago. So far i really like it (except for not being able to move apps to the SD card). I decided to join because every time I look up something I run into this site. Since this is my first smart phone I have a lot of stuff to figure out. I was playing a game yesterday and everything on the screen stopped. After a few minutes I restarted the phone. To shorten this up now I seem to be stuck on the system recovery screen. I tried "reboot system now" and "wipe cache partition" but neither worked. I'm trying not to use the factory reset, but will if that's the best option.I know I'm new, but if I can help you guys with anything I will do my best since there doesn't seem to much info on this phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Android Central! Are you rooted (like jailbreaking an iPhone)?

When you select "reboot system now" in the Recovery Menu, what happens? Does it just dump you back to the Recovery Menu? Are you selecting "reboot system now" by pressing the Power button?

dcb2334

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I also just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Discover, am new here and fairly new to all things android, so please forgive my possibly ridiculous questions. We have a Samsung Galaxy Player in the family that I love, and it's my wish to use this more reasonably priced phone for the same purpose as just the player - music and apps (games). It was purchased as a Straight Talk phone, it's still in the box. Is it possible to simply not use the phone service, just use wifi for apps thru the Play store, sideload my music, and ignore it's phone capabilities? Or do I have to sign up for the Straight Talk service in order to use this device? In other words is it possible to use this device as a stand alone player without incurring any charges other than what I may purchase thru play store? I'm not really tech savvy (obviously) don't really feel the need to be ( I know, weird), just want to listen to some things and maybe play a game of solitaire from time to time. Can you help?

blakeb1232

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Im going to buy this phone is the battery life any good for someone who would be texting most of the day ? would it last around 8 hours if I was to just text not call no music or anything else thanks :-X

blakeb1232

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
i want to know if this phone would last for around 8 hours if i was just to text for the 8 hours no calling music or anything else. im getting this phone and i want to know if it will last for 8 hours. andif not is there anything i could do to make the charge last longer thanks

blakeb1232

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Im going to buy this phone is the battery life any good for someone who would be texting most of the day ? would it last around 8 hours if I was to just text not call no music or anything else thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I also just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Discover, am new here and fairly new to all things android, so please forgive my possibly ridiculous questions. We have a Samsung Galaxy Player in the family that I love, and it's my wish to use this more reasonably priced phone for the same purpose as just the player - music and apps (games). It was purchased as a Straight Talk phone, it's still in the box. Is it possible to simply not use the phone service, just use wifi for apps thru the Play store, sideload my music, and ignore it's phone capabilities? Or do I have to sign up for the Straight Talk service in order to use this device? In other words is it possible to use this device as a stand alone player without incurring any charges other than what I may purchase thru play store? I'm not really tech savvy (obviously) don't really feel the need to be ( I know, weird), just want to listen to some things and maybe play a game of solitaire from time to time. Can you help?

Welcome to Android Central! In theory, it should be possible. But when you power the phone up for the first time, it might insist that you activate the Straight Talk service. I've seen other people get around the activation process, but I'm afraid I don't know the steps. You could also try turning the phone on without the SIM card, but it might still tell end up blocking you and telling you to insert the SIM card before you can continue. Hopefully someone else can give you a more definitive answer.

Here's a thread where some people talk about the issue: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...s-activation-screen-use-phone-wi-fi-only.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Im going to buy this phone is the battery life any good for someone who would be texting most of the day ? would it last around 8 hours if I was to just text not call no music or anything else thanks

Welcome to Android Central! Here are the specs: Samsung Galaxy Discover specs. It says 7.3 hrs talk time, 18.3 days standby time. Since texting probably takes less power than phone calls, you'd probably be able to use it for texting for up to 8 hrs.

UniversalMagnetic

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. Sorry it took so long to respond. The holidays kick in and stuff gets crazy. No its not rooted. I kept getting pushed back to system recovery no matter what option I chose with the power button. I got in touch with my samsung and went over my options then did the same with cricket. Afterwards I just ended up getting a different phone because my data had been wiped anyway. Picked up a galaxy admire 2. I consider this whole experience a lesson. The first thing I did was get a backup app because losing contacts and data in general sucks. I would like to say thank you for trying to help me out though. I really appreciate it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, sorry you had to go through all of that. Hopefully you have a better experience with your Admire! Don't hesitate to come back to these forums if you have more questions.

LatchkeyCard

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
DCB2334, this Samsung Galaxy Discover should work for your needs without having to sign up for Straight Talk. My son wanted an iPod Touch for Christmas, but we got him the Samsung Galaxy Discover instead (to keep him in the Android family) and he is loving it. I had the same concerns as you do regarding being able to use it without signing up or activating phone service. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it worked right out of the box without activating the phone. He has been downloading apps from Google Play and the Amazon Appstore, using Gmail, and Chrome - all over WiFi. We haven't yet loaded any music, but I don't see how that would be an issue. Good Luck!

runningwolf32

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I have recently purchased a samsung galaxy discover. When Im on a call and have to punch in numbers for answers the screen goes black. If I shake it the number pad comes back on but immediately goes back to black screen. After several times of doing this it finally lets me finish the call. Does anyone have an idea of what might be causing this and how to fix it, besides using it as a skeet??? Any help is appreciated! thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sounds like there might be an issue with the proximity sensor, which is supposed to black out the screen during a call when your phone is up to your ear (to prevent your ear from pressing any buttons). When you take the phone away, the sensor should allow the screen to come back on, but sometimes screen protectors, dirt or oil over the sensor, or a case that blocks the sensor can interfere with its function. Try removing any of these possible obstructions, and try again.