Samsung Galaxy Discover

Jynx Quinn

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I've been searching the forums for help on this phone, but I think I'm the only person that has one. =-O
Searching my questions on Google mostly led me to AC which has been a great help so I decided to join. :)
To the point. I've been looking for different apps to keep my Android safe and running smooth. There are loads of different opinions. For example, using a task manager/killer. Some people recommend using one, but I've also read that Android does this by itself. Do I or don't I? Since I just got the phone I don't have many apps. Just the FB app, a flashlight app, Zedge app and the AC app. I want to try other apps and games but my phone only has 2.4 gb of internal memory, and from what I can see, there is no option to save apps to my sd card. I just want to have fun with my Android without killing it. Which leads me to anti virus programs. Do I need one of those? I'll pay for an app thats needed but do I really need one?
Sorry for the long winded post... Help me AC guru's. Your my only hope.

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
You do not need a task killer or task manager, or an antivirus. If you stick to just downloading stuff from the play store and not anywhere else, and don't click on sketchy links then you should be fine. You just have to be careful. Otherwise, or just to be safe, you can download an antivirus. If you are going to download one, I recommend avast antivirus.

Jynx Quinn

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Well that makes me feel better. My last phone was a Razor, a LONG time ago. I didn't see the need for a phone until recently and WOW have they changed! o_O
So I was planning on only downloading apps from the Play Store anyway so I'm safe there. As for the internal/external memory, do I have any control over where an app goes?

Posted via Android Central App

Jynx Quinn

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Trying not to ask too many question at one time, but:
1. Should I fully discharge my battery from time to time or just charge it when it says? To maximize battery life.
2. Would tips on a different Samsung phone (ie; Galaxy S series) apply to my phone?

Jynx Quinn

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Well it seems that fully discharging your battery is a really bad thing. Sorry for asking a question that has clearly been answered.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Trying not to ask too many question at one time, but:
1. Should I fully discharge my battery from time to time or just charge it when it says? To maximize battery life.
2. Would tips on a different Samsung phone (ie; Galaxy S series) apply to my phone?

Well it seems that fully discharging your battery is a really bad thing. Sorry for asking a question that has clearly been answered.

Hey, I see you jumped in to some questions.

1. As you already found out, no. General agreement is charge when somewhat low about 25%. Some sites say once a month bring it to about 5% but never til it dies.
2. Depending on the tips, most likely. From a software side, it's all Android, and most of the things are going to be the same. Certain things are going to be Samsung specific, but many things you read will be pretty universal.
3. Your first post about apps. FB, fine; flashlight, careful, that can drain your battery pretty quickly, and prolonged led use can cause a burnout but otherwise can be handy; Zedge, excellent app for pics and ringtones to make your phone more like yours; AC app is a must. Especially if you are going to tour the forums a lot.
I would also suggest an Anti Virus app. Most of the apps you listed aren't bug, even the Anti Virus apps. I have AVG, and that tells me if an app is going to have a lot of ads and crap like that on it.

Stick to the Play Store for your apps.

Hope to see you around the forums!

Jynx Quinn

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info, Golf. I'll be sure to stick with the Play Store for my apps. I'm also going to try the AVG. Can't hurt to have a good anti-virus app. I'll keep ya'll updated. :)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info, Golf. I'll be sure to stick with the Play Store for my apps. I'm also going to try the AVG. Can't hurt to have a good anti-virus app. I'll keep ya'll updated. :)

Awesome. How are you liking the device so far?

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind, with updates to TouchWiz and Android, menu options may have changed or just outright differ. If you're having a problem finding a setting or toggle explore around settings in similar menus.
Don't be afraid to ask, either. I see you're asking already and that's a good thing!

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

Jynx Quinn

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Awesome. How are you liking the device so far?

OMG!!! This isn't a phone. It's a mini computer. I can't get off this thing! I love it! It's like getting your most favorite toy for Xmas. :p
And, thanks for the tip, Scott. I'll definately keep that in mind. That will help when I'm trying to find my way through the menus. :)
So, here's a question. I'm downloading apps just to try some of them out. A few different pdf readers, notepads, voice recorders, to see which one I want to keep and uninstalling the rest. Is this a bad thing? Are there hidden files left on my phone taking space, possibly slowing my phone down in the future?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Installing and then uninstalling an app shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes a user data folder will be left behind after uninstalling, but it usually takes up minimal space. If you use a file manager app, you can search your internal memory or external SD card for any folder that can be identified as belonging to that uninstalled app. Make sure the folder has the name of the app or app developer, because you don't want to delete folders that are important for other apps, especially system apps.

Also make sure you're installing from reliable sources like Google Play or Amazon Appstore. Other sources can put you at risk for malware.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
OMG!!! This isn't a phone. It's a mini computer. I can't get off this thing! I love it! It's like getting your most favorite toy for Xmas. :p
And, thanks for the tip, Scott. I'll definately keep that in mind. That will help when I'm trying to find my way through the menus. :)
So, here's a question. I'm downloading apps just to try some of them out. A few different pdf readers, notepads, voice recorders, to see which one I want to keep and uninstalling the rest. Is this a bad thing? Are there hidden files left on my phone taking space, possibly slowing my phone down in the future?

Nothing wrong with downloading different apps and then deleting. As for PDF, try Kingsoft. That app allows for editing, and can view Microsoft documents.

Jynx Quinn

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Nothing wrong with downloading different apps and then deleting. As for PDF, try Kingsoft. That app allows for editing, and can view Microsoft documents.

One word for Kingsoft: Amazing!!! Makes Adobe Reader look silly. And it's only 2 mbs bigger. Great app! Thanks again, Golf!

Jynx Quinn

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Installing and then uninstalling an app shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes a user data folder will be left behind after uninstalling, but it usually takes up minimal space. If you use a file manager app, you can search your internal memory or external SD card for any folder that can be identified as belonging to that uninstalled app. Make sure the folder has the name of the app or app developer, because you don't want to delete folders that are important for other apps, especially system apps.

Also make sure you're installing from reliable sources like Google Play or Amazon Appstore. Other sources can put you at risk for malware.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using AC Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info B. Diddy. Any file manager apps you would recommend?

GoodtoGo

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
i just bought the Galaxy Discover today. Prior to that I had the Blackberry Curve 8530 for like 3 yrs... So far, I am loving the Discover.

versys rob

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I also have the Samsung Discover, and am new here. How do I change where my aps, photos and videos are being stored? I want them to go to my SD card, but they seem to go to my phone's internal memory. There does not seem to be a file manager on this phone. Is that what Kingsoft is for? I am not a computer geek. Help!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You can't store your apps on your external SD card unless you root the phone. You should be able to choose where your camera and video camera app store photos and videos you take--open the camera app, hit the menu or settings button, and look through that menu for an option to choose where to store photos/videos.

There are lots of good 3rd party file manager apps on Google Play. Two good ones are Total Commander and ES File Explorer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463