"Sleep of death" dear lord!

SWD

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
So my boyfriend and I go through phones like pairs of shoes. For this third phone in since April of this year he now has a LG Optimus G (At&T). Worked great for 3 weeks and then SOD.

This only happens overnight when he is charging it and we are sleeping. In the morning his phone would be off and when powering back on the screen would only show the "battery is charged" graphic/indicator. It would take at least 10 minutes to power it back on and wake it up.

Apparently AT&T has this stupid 15 day exchange policy and it happened on the 16th day...go figure. I am not paying $200.00 deductible for another phone or calling LG to have us send him the phone and wait a week.

I tried the basic things that I would think would work.
1. Soft reset
2. Removing the battery, SIM card, SD Card and replacing it.
3. Monitoring the battery life and usage.
4. (last resort we might do soon is ) Hard reset.
5. Software update

Just from experience with computers I do not think it is a hardware issue and more of a software. When using the device it works like a charm. When it is in rest or not being used it acts up.

Note: This is stock! No rooting.

I do believe it is a power save issue where the phone goes into sleep mode to save power (like a computer). What do I do?!

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Has he installed any new apps in the past 2 or so days before this occurred? Try removing those and rebooting before a hard reset. Don't forget you're still under warranty from the manufacturer.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps you are using the same faulty charger? That many phones sounds like it's something you are doing either hardware wise or software by installing the same faulty app.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

eronfaure

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a Google nexus 4 and have had the same problem (none with my RMA'd device). There's no true fix to it that I could find but there is an app for it. Google XDA sleep of death fix app and you should find it.

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

SWD

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
We have tried different chargers and he has not recently downloaded any new apps.

It happens when the phone stays unactive for a long period of time

I cannot find the Google XDA sleep of death app

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
We have tried different chargers and he has not recently downloaded any new apps.

It happens when the phone stays unactive for a long period of time

I cannot find the Google XDA sleep of death app
When you do any of the fixes in your first post will the device recover and allow you to wake it for a small period of time? I would think that a factory reset would at least get you back up and running.