Hello people!

This is my first post so go easy on me!

So im going travelling at the end of august for around 6 months and I need a way of backing up my photos from my DSLR just incase I loose my camera or SD cards.

I dont want to take a laptop or tablet as that is bulk to carry around and just another expensive gadget to worry about loosing and insuring. However I will be taking my trusty Nexus 4.

So is there any way I can take my SD card, transfer the files (mainly RAW some JPEG) to my Nexus 4 and then upload them to either Google Drive or Dropbox so my dad back home can then download them from there and save them on a external HD.

Maybe a mirco USB to SD card reader? Then an app to view the files and upload them? As long as im connected to the internet of course.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
    07-29-2013 04:57 AM
    Yeah sounds like a good idea.

Take your sdcard and using a sdcard reader or USB connection from your DSLR, transfer the photos over to computer. From there you can upload or "sync" them to Dropbox. If you have the Dropbox app installed on your computer & Nexus 4 the syncing and transfer will be painless. I really think the Dropbox idea is perfect because it makes this type of situation easy.
    07-29-2013 10:28 AM
    Thanks for the response!

I problem is i dont want to take a computer and I want to be able to upload the files from my SD to dropbox or google drive via my nexus 4. Is that possible?

Any suggestions!?
    07-30-2013 04:11 AM
    Thanks for the response!

I problem is i dont want to take a computer and I want to be able to upload the files from my SD to dropbox or google drive via my nexus 4. Is that possible?

Any suggestions!?
    There's an article on AC that shows how to get USB OTG (which would allow you to connect a USB SD card reader or maybe even the camera itself to your Nexus 4) on your phone. It's a bit involved, though.

Android Advanced: USB OTG on the Nexus 4 | Android Central

Depending on where you're traveling you may be able to rely on internet cafes to upload your pictures to your cloud service. You can always just bite the bullet and get a cheap netbook to bring along, too.
    srkmagnus likes this.
    07-30-2013 09:13 AM
    Thanks for the response!

Any suggestions!?
    Use the method posted above or go with your initial thought of using a micro USB card reader to take save the photos on then pop the micro SD card into your phone and upload to Drive. If you can get to a wifi connection then that would help upload the photos faster. I'd imagine you'll have a lot of photos and uploading from the mobile data connection could be time consuming, especially if you don't have 4G/lte service.

Let us know how things go for you.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    07-30-2013 09:19 AM
    The N4 doesn't have an SD card, you'd still need some way to get the pics from the card to the phone....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-30-2013 09:54 AM
    Thanks for the responses!

Well Ill be transferring files from a full size sd card to my phone

The above method involves rooting the device which I don't really want to do as that voids the warranty and I only just got it so.

If there is literally no way of doing it then I will have to bite the bullet and get a small netbook or tablet. But I would like to find a way to do it via my nexus 4 first.
    07-31-2013 03:45 AM
    There are wireless SD cards around which when you shoot automatically upload to the web. They are pricey though.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-31-2013 06:49 AM