Purchased the LG Optimus Showtime (L86C) a couple of months ago--first smartphone/Android of four (in less than a year) that I've really liked (no, I'm not very cell- and tech-savvy with all the fun new phones). Last week the battery started draining ridiculously fast and I don't think I've installed anything new or changed anything to make a difference. I use the phone for the basics: calls and texts, checking email and facebook, and an occasional gps directions assist--no t.v. or movie watching or serious game playing. Phone would go from fully charged down to 0% within a few hours, until eventually it wouldn't charge AT ALL. Figured I just had a bum battery and ordered a new one. Charged the new battery fully last night, but seems I'm still having the same problems. I've tried the tricks about screen brightness, reducing it to about 30% (but I had it at 80% when I first got the phone and had NO PROBLEM with battery drain), shutting down gps and wifi, closing apps that don't need to run all the time--oh, and I'm in a full-signal area, so I'm not searching for a signal. Nothing seems to be helping. Battery Use shows Cell Standby at 40%, Phone Idle at 34% with the few other things being low numbers. Could it be a problem with the phone itself? Any other suggestions? I really like this phone, for a change, so I hate the thought of having to try yet another new one. 'Bout ready to go back to the dinosaur flip phones that only call and text.
    07-30-2013 10:44 AM
    You might got some service running and doing something all the time, i don't know how you "close" application, but if you do via recent app menu thats just closing sleeping UI aplications, you can check running services in application settings.... or else you already did that

IF you got ICS or higher you can also check CPU usage by turning on CPU usage monitor in developer settings (which is hidden since JB)
    dancingfrg likes this.
    07-30-2013 02:20 PM
    I'm not tech savvy either so knowing the Android reputation for battery life I prepared myself for coping with it as opposed to fixing it. I had BlackBerry up until about a year ago and that thing was a tank! No joke it needed a charge in high usage maybe every other day. So this was quite the change as you might imagine.

Applications running in the background in my opinion are the biggest offenders as the previous person mentioned. Things like screen back lighting and timing out are not as important when it comes to battery life. Just based on my experience GPS, streaming video, radio and fb linked games are the second biggest offenders. I installed JUICE DEFENDER it really works for me. I tried the free version then upgraded to premium to get maximum battery usage.Its a bit complicated (you know if you're not tech savvy like moi ;-) but once you get it figured out I think helps. I have a powerful external battery which I can use while I use my phone and when I reach 30% (which is about 8 hours of idle and 6 of peak usage) I use that puppy to get me back to 100% which gets me through the rest of my day. When I'm in the car I always connect it to the charger if I'm listening to my music or podcasts. Hope this helps.

"Laughter is an instant vacation." ~ Milton Berle
    dancingfrg likes this.
    07-30-2013 02:58 PM
    Backup your data then factory reset. Let the new battery charge to full then see how the phone responds. I'd suggest not downloading apps until you know if the phone is any better or if battery life is still draining fast. Let us know how things go.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    dancingfrg likes this.
    07-30-2013 03:18 PM
    I'm ashamed to admit I don't know how to backup my data, or how to factory reset. Any quick, easy instructions on this?
    07-30-2013 04:36 PM
    Mine is doing the same thing! Did you have to get a new phone?

Linda
    04-09-2016 01:42 AM