New phone advice: Verzion, LTE, removable battery, microSD, FM Radio

dale2381

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping to get some advice from the crowd here. My Droid Bionic is not doing too well. The last software update really was poor. I am looking for a new phone. It must be on the Verizon network 4G LTE. I want a removable battery, microSD card slot, and an FM tuner. If anyone knows of a good phone with these specs even if it hasn't been released yet please let me know. I was hoping for the LG G2 but the leaked manual apparently was false.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hard to go wrong with the Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4. The LG Spectrum 2 is another option. These phones have removable batteries, microSD slots, and 4G; however, none of them have FM tuners, which is a pretty rare feature these days. Most people can just use an app like Rdio or IHeartRadio to listen to live streams over the web.

dale2381

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I did know about those phones but the FM radio is very important. I use it at the gym to listen to the TV audio. Also, many sporting events get blacked out when streaming.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to find FM radios in any of the newer phones. If it's that important to you, and you don't mind a phone that won't have the latest Android OS, check out some of these older phones on sale at DailySteals.com. The sale is only going on for another 2 days. The Droid X has an FM radio, but not sure if the battery is removable.

DailySteals.com

kobe008

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
The Droid X does have a removeable battery but it is only 3G. I do not know of any phones that meet your criteria. Most do not have the FM tuner anymore.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The Droid X has an FM radio, but not sure if the battery is removable.
It has a removable battery.

The problem is you're either going to sacrifice a lot with what you get for a phone (it won't be much, if any of an improvement over your Bionic) and get an FM radio, or have an awesome phone and have to spend $10 on a separate radio. Sure it's a bit inconvenient, but carrying a small radio to the gym isn't really that big of a deal. You also don't have to worry about accidentily wrecking your phone while working out.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
That will be tough finding a device with both LTE and a FM radio.

Have you given those suggested apps a try? Tune In, IHeartRadio, etc. They're quite good.

FM radios have essentially gone the way of the physical keyboards as there's just no point anymore.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The problem is you're either going to sacrifice a lot with what you get for a phone (it won't be much, if any of an improvement over your Bionic) and get an FM radio, or have an awesome phone and have to spend $10 on a separate radio. Sure it's a bit inconvenient, but carrying a small radio to the gym isn't really that big of a deal. You also don't have to worry about accidentily wrecking your phone while working out.

I agree. I don't like carrying my phone around in the gym, because (a) I'm afraid I'll drop it or drop something on it, (b) it's relatively bulky, and (c) I hate armbands. I actually prefer working out with my Zune HD (don't laugh, it still sounds great!), which is nice and lightweight, carries all of my music, and has FM radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678