Phone might be infected from browsing Internet. Help!

DroidR2D2E2

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I was browsing the internet on my Galaxy S3 last night and a website that i visited automatically downloaded a file onto my phone without my permission or me clicking anything to prompt a download.

I opened the downloaded file and it tried to get me to install the file onto my android OS. After seeing this, I backed out of the file and deleted it from my phone.
I immediately assumed it was a probable virus or trojan, so I downloaded Avast antivirus protection from the Play Store and scanned my entire phone, including all the apps and files, the scan turned up nothing. Just to be sure, I also downloaded AVG antivirus protection and used that to scan my entire phone as well, again, the scan turned up nothing.

Is it possible that both antivirus programs are missing anything on my phone, or have I dodged a bullet?
My phone isn't exhibiting any odd behaviour but I will restore the phone to factory settings if people that see this think that it's a good idea.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was browsing the internet on my Galaxy S3 last night and a website that i visited automatically downloaded a file onto my phone without my permission or me clicking anything to prompt a download.

I opened the downloaded file and it tried to get me to install the file onto my android OS. After seeing this, I backed out of the file and deleted it from my phone.
I immediately assumed it was a probable virus or trojan, so I downloaded Avast antivirus protection from the Play Store and scanned my entire phone, including all the apps and files, the scan turned up nothing. Just to be sure, I also downloaded AVG antivirus protection and used that to scan my entire phone as well, again, the scan turned up nothing.

Is it possible that both antivirus programs are missing anything on my phone, or have I dodged a bullet?
My phone isn't exhibiting any odd behaviour but I will restore the phone to factory settings if people that see this think that it's a good idea.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums.
I think you may have dodged a bullet there. Sometimes PDFs automatically download upon clicking, which could be a bad thing, due to who knows what is attached to that file. The chances of you having a virus after two major virus scanners agreeing that nothing is on your device is now minimal. Keep an eye on how the phone behaves over the next couple days, but I wouldn't worry about it.

DroidR2D2E2

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
I think you may have dodged a bullet there. Sometimes PDFs automatically download upon clicking, which could be a bad thing, due to who knows what is attached to that file. The chances of you having a virus after two major virus scanners agreeing that nothing is on your device is now minimal. Keep an eye on how the phone behaves over the next couple days, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the advice. I've had the phone on most of the day and nothing odd has happened, i'll keep an eye on it like you said though.

Thanks for the welcome as well.