Hey everyone,

I rooted my device with TWRP since a lot of people recommended it. I am somewhat of a computer geek but a complete newbie when it comes to Android and mobile applications.

My phone recently downloaded a system upgrade, 1.27.531.11 fro T-Mobile HTC One.

I want to do the upgrade without removing root from the phone. However, whenever I try and Google this I am bombarded with terms like RUU Xda ROM etc. What does all this mean? Can someone point me in the right direction for upgrading my phone? I think I need to do a custom ROM flash but I have no idea where to find the files or what to do with them.

Thanks so much!
    08-14-2013 10:00 PM
    Hey everyone,

I rooted my device with TWRP since a lot of people recommended it. I am somewhat of a computer geek but a complete newbie when it comes to Android and mobile applications.

My phone recently downloaded a system upgrade, 1.27.531.11 fro T-Mobile HTC One.

I want to do the upgrade without removing root from the phone. However, whenever I try and Google this I am bombarded with terms like RUU Xda ROM etc. What does all this mean? Can someone point me in the right direction for upgrading my phone? I think I need to do a custom ROM flash but I have no idea where to find the files or what to do with them.

Thanks so much!
    Welcome to the forums!
    While I don't know that answer myself (as that is HTC specific), I can get one of the other Ambassadors to answer.
    08-14-2013 10:02 PM
    Thanks for your warm welcome and help
    08-14-2013 10:06 PM
    A ruu file is a one shot restore file with stipulations. It's not like a rom, you don't need a custom recovery to use one. You do need to have a locked bootloader, though. This file runs on Windows or a windows emulator and will restore your phone to stock functionality all on it's own.
    XDA is a forum, that's it.
    Rom is usually in reference to custom firmware, though there are stock roms. Do a lot of reading.

Regardless of any of this, do a lot of reading. Don't stop reading until you understand it. It'll be the best thing you do.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Golfdriver97 and Somdk like this.
    08-14-2013 10:17 PM
    A ruu file is a one shot restore file with stipulations. It's not like a rom, you don't need a custom recovery to use one. You do need to have a locked bootloader, though. This file runs on Windows or a windows emulator and will restore your phone to stock functionality all on it's own.
    XDA is a forum, that's it.
    Rom is usually in reference to custom firmware, though there are stock roms. Do a lot of reading.

Regardless of any of this, do a lot of reading. Don't stop reading until you understand it. It'll be the best thing you do.

Hey, Scott. You need a locked or unlocked bootloader? Just want to make sure there is no typo...
    08-14-2013 10:21 PM
    Okay thanks! So I found this file: TMOUS Radio Update 1.27.531.11 - xda-developers

I went into TWRP, wiped my data, and did Install. I picked the .zip file that I had downloaded.

It said it was successful but then it said it has no operating system. Did I do something wrong?
    08-14-2013 10:21 PM
    Hey, Scott. You need a locked or unlocked bootloader? Just want to make sure there is no typo...
    Bootloader needs to be LOCKED.

Adb oem lock

Golfdriver97 likes this.
    08-16-2013 09:59 AM
    I lost my os by flashing radios incorrectly. Did you reflash your rom after the radio? You need to do that in one shot.
    Use adb to push rom files to the phone, then flash them and you'll be alright.

08-16-2013 10:01 AM
    Hey guys, just wanted to quickly bump this up as I am still a bit confused.

After I lost the OS I did a TWRP recovery from a backup a while ago.

I am now trying to flash the rom file again. I go to TWRP >> Install and select the radio update (from the link above). It says it is successful. I then hit reboot system but my phone loads and nothing is changed .....No update has happened. The phone is contantly nagging me to do their system update which I cannot do since I am rooted.

Any help?
    08-18-2013 01:21 PM
    Hey guys, just wanted to quickly bump this up as I am still a bit confused.

After I lost the OS I did a TWRP recovery from a backup a while ago.

I am now trying to flash the rom file again. I go to TWRP >> Install and select the radio update (from the link above). It says it is successful. I then hit reboot system but my phone loads and nothing is changed .....No update has happened. The phone is contantly nagging me to do their system update which I cannot do since I am rooted.

Any help?
    Radios don't change any user facing aspect of your device. Flashing a newer radio will only influence how the phone acquires and holds it's signal. You'll have to ignore the ota notification, or flash a rom.

08-18-2013 04:46 PM
    You can RUU and be unlocked/S-Off, in fact many times you NEED to be S-Off if you are working with Custom ROMs, are rooted and want to keep Root with a modified OTA update.
    02-24-2015 09:35 AM