Hello all,

I currently have an S3, which I got for free a couple of months ago. I love the phone but the reception issues I am having is going to force me to upgrade my phone. I use to have a bionic, which never had any reception issues in my home. Now I am dropping calls or not even receiving them at all in my home. (Currently sitting at -107) My question is while I am shopping for a new phone, is there a way to tell if one has a better radio/antenna? I am going to be burning my upgrade so I want to make sure I make the most educated decision possible.

Thanks in advance,

Justin Koehl
    08-18-2013 03:49 PM
    Just bumping to see if anyone can share any insight.
    08-19-2013 05:44 PM
    Hello all,

I currently have an S3, which I got for free a couple of months ago. I love the phone but the reception issues I am having is going to force me to upgrade my phone. I use to have a bionic, which never had any reception issues in my home. Now I am dropping calls or not even receiving them at all in my home. (Currently sitting at -107) My question is while I am shopping for a new phone, is there a way to tell if one has a better radio/antenna? I am going to be burning my upgrade so I want to make sure I make the most educated decision possible.

Thanks in advance,

Justin Koehl
    Why not get a new motorla phone? one of the new droids?
    08-20-2013 12:00 PM
    Samsung galaxy s4
    08-20-2013 12:07 PM
    Sadly, the best way is probably to find people in your area with your carrier and ask. You can find specs but they generally do a very bad job of comparing how one phone will work compared to another.

If you want a starting point you can look at the SAR for each phone:

Cell phone radiation levels - CNET Reviews

There's no guarantee that a different number will give you different reception, but it's a start.
    08-20-2013 12:27 PM
    Just bumping to see if anyone can share any insight.
    Welcome to the forums!
    Another thing to do is look at Sensorly. It's an app that reports cell signal strength.
    08-20-2013 04:47 PM
    Great suggestions above. Adding to the discussion, reception can also be based on the hardware. As oddly as it sounds this could also be a factor in signal quality. Maybe not much, but in certain instances could be the difference in good or poor reception.

Let us know what you decide on doing and if you have any improvements with a new device.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    08-20-2013 05:26 PM
    I have had the s3,the radio wasn't as good as my DROID RAZR MAXX. Though my note 2 had a better radio than my Droid razr maxx.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    08-20-2013 05:30 PM