i know this topic has been covered to death but i can only understand if i ask the question personally.... so i am thinking of making the leap between platforms, iphone is just falling behind in my opinion to the htc one. so some of the questions i have before i commit to buying are;
    1. i work in remote site with little to no cell service, will the HTC one send and receive text using just a wifi signal as my iphone can.
    2. the best programs for keeping itunes updated with my phone (update regularly with new music) and best program for switching contacts over. im somewhat computer savy but my job does not allow me to sink a bunch of time into figuring it all out, so i need something very simple and fool proof as to not loose my contacts or screw up my massive iTunes cash.
    3. biggest gripe from others that have made the switch from IOS to android, and also your overall impression.

once again please dont burn me to harshly for reposting this topic, im just very busy with work and cannot go through and spend time searching for this stuff. also if someone knows a better spot on the form to move this thread to, please do

thanks all!
    08-19-2013 06:33 PM
    Out of the box you might not be able to send text over wifi. You'll likely need a third party sms app that connects your contacts to their service to send and receive sms. I use Google Voice, and have no problems. There are others, such as Handcent, that would allow you to send over wifi.

I'm not sure about the last few questions since I have not come from ios - let us know what you decide and how everything goes as you make the transition.

Note: I'll take a look around for some recommendations once I get home.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    08-19-2013 09:09 PM
    Have to agree, the standard SMS app is just that on the One or any other phone you choose. Sadly imessage is not currently or probably ever going to be released for android. That said though you do have options. You can use a program like Google voice for wifi texting. If you don't like the interface for it there are programs that allow you to use the stock or third party SMS clients to send text through google voice

ITunes is its own bag of ugly when it comes to android integration. I'll keep it short there is none. There are though a few options. Double twist has a means to do this. A better option you might like is Google play music. Just like in iTunes your music can be uploaded and sync with them. Now your cover art may change if the song you have is from an obscure album but the song should still be the same. Now let's say you purchase your music through apple. When you add it to your pc or mac you can set it up so that the song is automatically uploaded to play music. Oh and if you like things like Spotify all access on play music does many of the same things and it combines both new and saved songs you have when it's playing.

As far as contacts there are means to have them transferred but I'm not up on that..

I'll give you my experience. I had he original iPhone. Then I went to the palm pre. Finally I jumped to android with an Evo 4G. I'm a tinker so doing stuff others are uncomfortable with isn't that big of a deal. When I had android on the Evo it was still rough around the edges. So I rooted and rommed my phone to make it better. If you don't understand what I just did it's basically jailbreak and unlocking the phone.

Now I'm on a nexus with 4.3 stock and I don't have the want or need to do what I've done before. That's how much better android has gotten over time.

Last parting thoughts. Relax ask questions and have some fun. There are always arses who will give you a hard time. Many here though are happy to help you. Just ask.

We don't bite... Much;-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    08-19-2013 10:36 PM
    2. the best programs for keeping itunes updated with my phone (update regularly with new music) and best program for switching contacts over. im somewhat computer savy but my job does not allow me to sink a bunch of time into figuring it all out, so i need something very simple and fool proof as to not loose my contacts or screw up my massive iTunes cash.
    If you want to continue using iTunes as your main music manager then iSyncr is the best app I've found to do that. If you also use Rocket Player you can do stuff like edit playlists and keep your play counts in sync with iTunes as well. The music will play on any music app that supports whatever file types you have, though.

Just remember that any song downloaded from iTunes before April of 2009 will need to have the DRM removed no matter what method you use for syncing.
    08-20-2013 08:23 AM
    thanks guys, helping me cement my decision to switch. just getting so bored of the iphone ecosystem that doesn't change. dont get me wrong i love my itunes and just ordered a new macbook Air with the upgraded ram and memory...but the iphone in my eyes has become somewhat stagnate mainly in looks and outward features but the jump in firmware and processor performace is also becoming much more minimal in my eyes (as to what i see with latest 5S rumors). so "iSyncr" will do a solid job of updating my HTC One every week or so with new content from iTunes?

i already uploaded all my contacts to my gmail account so if i do get a new phone i just have to sync it with that account and all contacts will transfer correct?

now for a new question, Will my HTC One continually be able to update to the latest firmware such as an iphone will or am i stuck with that firmware until i get the next gen phone with the new firmware?

and dont stop with the info and first hand impressions of switching.....im here to absorb everything you guys can throw out there : )
    08-20-2013 09:59 AM
    thanks guys, helping me cement my decision to switch. just getting so bored of the iphone ecosystem that doesn't change. dont get me wrong i love my itunes and just ordered a new macbook Air with the upgraded ram and memory...but the iphone in my eyes has become somewhat stagnate mainly in looks and outward features but the jump in firmware and processor performace is also becoming much more minimal in my eyes (as to what i see with latest 5S rumors). so "iSyncr" will do a solid job of updating my HTC One every week or so with new content from iTunes?

i already uploaded all my contacts to my gmail account so if i do get a new phone i just have to sync it with that account and all contacts will transfer correct?

now for a new question, Will my HTC One continually be able to update to the latest firmware such as an iphone will or am i stuck with that firmware until i get the next gen phone with the new firmware?

and dont stop with the info and first hand impressions of switching.....im here to absorb everything you guys can throw out there : )
    When you get your new phone, use the Gmail account with the contacts sync to have the contacts transferred over.

HTC will roll out updates and you can just update straight from there

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    08-20-2013 10:07 AM
    Adding to Tasty's post, HTC will role out updates to a certain extent. I don't think there is a clear cut answer as to when the updates stop coming, but it's been my experience that updates are usually rolled out for at least two (2) android version upgrades. These will be "major" updates. Whereas minor firmware updates will released more frequently as HTC or the carrier see's fit.
    08-20-2013 11:27 AM
    so "iSyncr" will do a solid job of updating my HTC One every week or so with new content from iTunes?
    I sync with a PC, not a Mac, so YMMV, but yes. You can set it to sync automatically over WiFi. In the app itself you only have the option of picking a time of day (so if you only want once a week you'll have to do it manually), but if you use Tasker you can pick whatever scenario you want for syncing.

The only thing that's guaranteed is that it's up to HTC and the carriers. No one really knows how many updates each phone will get, but it seems as if the One will get a least a couple of major updates. People are demanding it more and more and the One is a flagship phone, so there's a decent chance you'll get at least up to KLP. I've also noticed that phones get about 2 major updates and it would be very surprising if the One didn't get at least that as well.
    08-20-2013 11:35 AM

Welcome to the forums!
    I haven't come from iOS either, but a big concern is the music, and it's understandable. Keep the questions coming. You haven't run into a dipstick yet....
    08-20-2013 03:44 PM
    on the music side of it...when my iphone is locked, i can simply double tap the home button and it will let me play music without having to unlock the phone, does the HTC one have a similar ability? pretty much a music quick access
    08-20-2013 05:30 PM
    Personally I missed having those little red #'s on App icons like on iOS. Some find them annoying but I find them priceless & use them as a "reminder".
    Here's how to get them working on Android--> http://goo.gl/kfYzJ
    08-20-2013 05:54 PM
    on the music side of it...when my iphone is locked, i can simply double tap the home button and it will let me play music without having to unlock the phone, does the HTC one have a similar ability? pretty much a music quick access
    Not exactly like that. What you should see is a widget with the song paused and controls to play or back /advance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    08-20-2013 08:44 PM
    but that widget will be on the lock screen?
    08-21-2013 08:30 AM
    but that widget will be on the lock screen?
    Here is an example of what I was talking about.

08-21-2013 10:00 AM
    no picture came up mech1164
    08-21-2013 12:45 PM
    well ive made the decision, I WILL GO WITH THE HTC ONE! im very stoked and cant wait, i want to get the black 64gb but will not be in town long enough to order it and have it activated : ( so i will probably just be getting the black 32 gb. i fell after doing months of research, i will be very happy with this phone after getting use to android OS. Please still feel free to let me know how your experience was when switching OS! very interested in that still!
    08-22-2013 09:13 PM
    well ive made the decision, I WILL GO WITH THE HTC ONE! im very stoked and cant wait, i want to get the black 64gb but will not be in town long enough to order it and have it activated : ( so i will probably just be getting the black 32 gb. i fell after doing months of research, i will be very happy with this phone after getting use to android OS. Please still feel free to let me know how your experience was when switching OS! very interested in that still!
    Cool. Hope you enjoy the device. Ask if you have any questions.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    08-23-2013 08:41 AM