So many permissions requested in apps, first time android user, what's up?....

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
First time android user here. When I download even popular apps from google play

And install them they have such a disturbing list of permission request. For example, even Pandora is asking for ?your personal information, add or modify calendar events and send email to guests?, um??

About to get a new phone and i don't want the apps all up in my business.

Also, i'll only use very popular legitimate type of apps, what can i do to prevent shadyness onto my phone?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Writing a guide on permissions is on my to-do list. But in the meantime, here is everything you need to know about Pandora permissions and why it wants them.
Pandora | Application Permissions on Android

It is wise to check permissions, but don't get too freaked out about them. Most people tend to just click through them, but I usually at least glance at them. The important thing is to understand what each permission actually means (some are pretty general) and why an app might need it. For example, any app that does any kindof sharing functionality (via email, sms, etc) is going to need permission to read personal info and contacts. Cause otherwise you won't be able to share anything to anyone in your contact list.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Diligent monitoring of app permissions is always a good idea. Kudos to you for your ability to recognize them.

That being said. A widely used app, with a reputation for being huge in the public eye, you can most often recognize that the app needs those permissions for benign reasons.

On the flip side, little known obscure apps asking for so many permissions is suspect.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Writing a guide on permissions is on my to-do list. But in the meantime, here is everything you need to know about Pandora permissions and why it wants them.
Pandora | Application Permissions on Android

It is wise to check permissions, but don't get too freaked out about them. Most people tend to just click through them, but I usually at least glance at them. The important thing is to understand what each permission actually means (some are pretty general) and why an app might need it. For example, any app that does any kindof sharing functionality (via email, sms, etc) is going to need permission to read personal info and contacts. Cause otherwise you won't be able to share anything to anyone in your contact list.

It's so annoying that it's the standard now to share everything with everyone. Like i'm gonna need to share an artist i hear on pandora with my friends. arrrgh. lol. I like this modern era but dear lord people. i'll have to create a whole new google account for my phone because all i did was add my email and it took so much **** from my google account and put it all over my phone. it's bad enough any time i want to sign into a site using facebook they ask for "all your friend's information", like um, really? great. So i think before i get my new phone i'll have a phone only google account.

and google insisting i link everything i have, my youtube, my email, etc, automatically, is ...okay, i digress. :D.

okay, i'll just do the best i can. : ). thanks.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Well,it's not like you have to use those features, but they're available in the app so it needs those permissions (regardless of if you decide to ever use the features or not)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know how Apple handles permissions? Do they even let you know about them before you install? On my wife's iPhone and iPad Mini, I notice that apps just install without any other info. They're probably hidden somewhere in the app description, but I'm betting that no one ever looks at them. At least Android apps are upfront about it!

Posted via Android Central App

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how Apple handles permissions? Do they even let you know about them before you install? On my wife's iPhone and iPad Mini, I notice that apps just install without any other info. They're probably hidden somewhere in the app description, but I'm betting that no one ever looks at them. At least Android apps are upfront about it!

Posted via Android Central App

No, Apple doesn't tell you about permissions (I've never been able to find them on my iPad). I suspect they hide them to avoid confusion/paranoia. Similar to how Android tells you when an app crashes, but iOS just reverts back to the homescreen when the apps crash.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech