Posting forum messages from my Nexus 7 - an easier way?

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
The text input field is wider than the Chrome screen, and the height of the input box is rather short. This make it a bit hard to input and edit posts from my Nexus.

Is there a better way to do this? Maybe a mobile app?

Thanks,

Doug

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Two apps are available. The main Android Central app is great, because it also includes all of the news and review articles from the main site. The folks in charge keep on improving it as well.

There's also the Android Central Forums app, which is only for the forums, and has a couple of functionalities that the main app doesn't have yet. I have both installed on my devices.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Two apps are available. The main Android Central app is great, because it also includes all of the news and review articles from the main site. The folks in charge keep on improving it as well.

There's also the Android Central Forums app, which is only for the forums, and has a couple of functionalities that the main app doesn't have yet. I have both installed on my devices.

the forums app looks particularly interesting. But for some reason it won't let me log in. It keeps on giving me an incorrect password message. I even changed my password here to make sure it was correct. It looks interesting though if I can use it!

Thanks,

Doug

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Nevermind. My fault. I was trying to sign in using my email address instead of my username. It works fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
This app seems to stutter though. When typing characters one at a time extra characters often get entered. I haven't seen that happen in other apps like gmail.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed that on my Nexus 7, but then again, I usually type using the gesture typing/Swype method.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I haven't noticed that on my Nexus 7, but then again, I usually type using the gesture typing/Swype method.

I try to use the Swype method too. I love that! It's eerily accurate. I've been showing it off to all my iOS friend and they are like, "wow."

But it doesn't always work right. In particular, sometimes it gets hung up trying to type some strange non-English characters, and it doesn't always work right with words which need to be spelled a certain way, like HbA1c or something like that. That's when I noticed the stuttering. It doesn't happen in Gmail.

One thing - I can't figure out how to get back from reading (like reading this posts) to my threads, or this list of forum entries. There doesn't seem to be a UI for it in the app. At least not an obvious one. And if I press the back button I just get jumped out of the app back to my home screen. What's the best way to get out of a thread and to the list of forums, or my threads?

Thanks,

doug

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I find that if I want to use the Google keyboard to actually tap letters out, landscape orientation is better than portrait, because the keys are bigger, and there's less chance for inadvertent taps of neighboring keys.

If you want your keyboard to learn words you often use, just tap them out once, then tap the correctly spelled word choice you see just above the keyboard. It'll ask you the to tap again if you want to add it to your dictionary. Next time you spell the word, it should recognize it (or at least include it in spelling possibilities).

If you're reading a post, the back button should bring you back to the list of posts. From there, another press of the back button should bet you to the forum categories. Is that not working for you?

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Hmm... It's working now. I'll see what happens after I post this reply.

I'll try those other hints you mentioned to too.

Thanks,

Doug

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
1 extra note on this. The forums tab at the top doesn't seem to correctly work. By that I mean if I go down to the Nexus 7 forums I see topics from other forums as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to the forum where you want to start a new thread, then hit the menu button and select "New Topic."

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I assume you're already logged into your account on the app. Tap on any forum (e.g., Introductions), then tap the soft menu button at the lower right corner, not any of the buttons along the top of the screen. The soft menu button should bring up more options: Refresh, Search, New Topic, and Mark Forum as Read.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I think my final opinion about this app is that (1) If you have to post, it's a lot easier to post with with the app than with Chrome but (2) If you want to browse around the forums it's a really horrible UI and I keep on getting dumped back out to the homescreen. So for browsing and checking forums, looking at your unread threads and things like that I recommend just using Chrome.

doug

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waterpig