11-13-2013 01:51 AM
30 12
tools
    The text input field is wider than the Chrome screen, and the height of the input box is rather short. This make it a bit hard to input and edit posts from my Nexus.

Is there a better way to do this? Maybe a mobile app?

Thanks,

Doug
    08-25-2013 09:16 PM
    Two apps are available. The main Android Central app is great, because it also includes all of the news and review articles from the main site. The folks in charge keep on improving it as well.

There's also the Android Central Forums app, which is only for the forums, and has a couple of functionalities that the main app doesn't have yet. I have both installed on my devices.
    Phil Nickinson and douglerner like this.
    08-25-2013 09:31 PM
    Two apps are available. The main Android Central app is great, because it also includes all of the news and review articles from the main site. The folks in charge keep on improving it as well.

There's also the Android Central Forums app, which is only for the forums, and has a couple of functionalities that the main app doesn't have yet. I have both installed on my devices.
    the forums app looks particularly interesting. But for some reason it won't let me log in. It keeps on giving me an incorrect password message. I even changed my password here to make sure it was correct. It looks interesting though if I can use it!

Thanks,

Doug
    08-25-2013 11:31 PM
    Nevermind. My fault. I was trying to sign in using my email address instead of my username. It works fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-25-2013 11:58 PM
    Nevermind. My fault. I was trying to sign in using my email address instead of my username. It works fine.

That's good to hear. Hopefully posting is easier for you now that you are on the app .
    08-26-2013 03:01 PM
    That's good to hear. Hopefully posting is easier for you now that you are on the app .
    Yes, from my Nexus it is much more comfortable.

Thanks,

doug
    08-26-2013 06:53 PM
    This app seems to stutter though. When typing characters one at a time extra characters often get entered. I haven't seen that happen in other apps like gmail.

08-26-2013 11:34 PM
    I haven't noticed that on my Nexus 7, but then again, I usually type using the gesture typing/Swype method.
    08-26-2013 11:41 PM
    I haven't noticed that on my Nexus 7, but then again, I usually type using the gesture typing/Swype method.
    I try to use the Swype method too. I love that! It's eerily accurate. I've been showing it off to all my iOS friend and they are like, "wow."

But it doesn't always work right. In particular, sometimes it gets hung up trying to type some strange non-English characters, and it doesn't always work right with words which need to be spelled a certain way, like HbA1c or something like that. That's when I noticed the stuttering. It doesn't happen in Gmail.

One thing - I can't figure out how to get back from reading (like reading this posts) to my threads, or this list of forum entries. There doesn't seem to be a UI for it in the app. At least not an obvious one. And if I press the back button I just get jumped out of the app back to my home screen. What's the best way to get out of a thread and to the list of forums, or my threads?

Thanks,

doug
    08-26-2013 11:56 PM
    I find that if I want to use the Google keyboard to actually tap letters out, landscape orientation is better than portrait, because the keys are bigger, and there's less chance for inadvertent taps of neighboring keys.

If you want your keyboard to learn words you often use, just tap them out once, then tap the correctly spelled word choice you see just above the keyboard. It'll ask you the to tap again if you want to add it to your dictionary. Next time you spell the word, it should recognize it (or at least include it in spelling possibilities).

If you're reading a post, the back button should bring you back to the list of posts. From there, another press of the back button should bet you to the forum categories. Is that not working for you?
    08-27-2013 12:04 AM
    Hmm... It's working now. I'll see what happens after I post this reply.

I'll try those other hints you mentioned to too.

Thanks,

Doug

08-27-2013 12:19 AM
    1 extra note on this. The forums tab at the top doesn't seem to correctly work. By that I mean if I go down to the Nexus 7 forums I see topics from other forums as well.

08-29-2013 10:22 PM
    Doug, there's another app since you still use the iOS forums.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tions.activity

It allows you to use all of the Mobile Nations forums from one app.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app
    08-29-2013 10:31 PM
    Thanks. I just tried it. But the forums component seems to be exactly the same.

08-29-2013 10:56 PM
    How do you create a new discussion from this app?

08-30-2013 04:24 AM
    Go to the forum where you want to start a new thread, then hit the menu button and select "New Topic."
    Scott Kenyon likes this.
    08-30-2013 04:26 AM
    Hmm... Not finding it anywhere.

08-30-2013 04:37 AM
    I assume you're already logged into your account on the app. Tap on any forum (e.g., Introductions), then tap the soft menu button at the lower right corner, not any of the buttons along the top of the screen. The soft menu button should bring up more options: Refresh, Search, New Topic, and Mark Forum as Read.
    Scott Kenyon likes this.
    08-30-2013 04:55 AM
    Found it. It was just at an unexpected level.

Thanks.

B. Diddy and Scott Kenyon like this.
    08-30-2013 05:19 AM
    I think my final opinion about this app is that (1) If you have to post, it's a lot easier to post with with the app than with Chrome but (2) If you want to browse around the forums it's a really horrible UI and I keep on getting dumped back out to the homescreen. So for browsing and checking forums, looking at your unread threads and things like that I recommend just using Chrome.

doug
    09-01-2013 07:24 PM
    I think my final opinion about this app is that (1) If you have to post, it's a lot easier to post with with the app than with Chrome but (2) If you want to browse around the forums it's a really horrible UI and I keep on getting dumped back out to the homescreen. So for browsing and checking forums, looking at your unread threads and things like that I recommend just using Chrome.

doug
    In case no one has said so, Welcome to the forums!
    Something else that you can do is subscribe to particular threads. These are stored I. The Favorites tab at the top. You can subscribe to individual threads or entire topics. Same as before, hit menu then subscribe.
    If you are on a lot, you should get the hang of it quickly.
    Hope to see you more in the forums!

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    09-01-2013 08:09 PM
    Good feedback, Doug. Are you looking for something like the mobile version on Chrome?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    09-01-2013 08:14 PM
    I will admit, I log on under chrome to peek at who is leading top posters, and check notifications.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    09-01-2013 08:18 PM
    It would be nice to have a UI to go up one level after reading a post. And a way to see my threads, for example. I keep trying to use the native return button, but often just get bumped out of the app and end up at the home screen.

Thanks,

Doug

09-01-2013 09:08 PM
    Getting back to this. After using the app to go to a post to read it, or reply, there really isn't any UI for moving around at all, and seeing other threads, or seeing a list of my threads, is there? Basically, if you follow a link in email to go to a post you are stuck in that thread from what I can see. Or am I missing something.

doug
    09-17-2013 11:31 PM
30 12