I use Samsung's S-Planner as my mobile calendar app, and I have it synced with my Google Calendar. It suits me well in general but I'm not quite sure if it's working as intended when I create an event while I'm outside of network coverage. In such circumstances I would expect it to create the event in the local cache and sync the change with Google when network connectivity is restored, and that does seem to be the way it works. What it doesn't do is show the newly created item - not until the network is restored. That's not very helpful because it leaves you wondering whether you actually created it successfully or not.

Does anyone know whether this is the way it's actually supposed to work, and whether there's a way to make it display the apps without waiting for a sync?
    08-28-2013 10:29 AM
    That's odd... I create events offline all the time and they do show up without issues. They sync to my online calendar once the connectivity is restored, but I CAN see them in my calendar even when offline. Which phone are you using this on? And are you seeing the issue in the app or the widget?
    08-28-2013 10:37 AM
    This is on a Galaxy S2. I'm a little fuzzy about the boundaries between widgets and apps tbh but as far as I can tell the issue is showing (or not!) in both.

I just tried a test. With mobile data and WiFi both off, I selected a day in the widget and then tapped it again. That gives me a full-screen page (which feels like a full-blown ap to me, hence my uncertainty about boundaries) in which to create an event. Having done so and clicked <Save> I return to the widget and a message saying "Event created" is shown briefly, but it doesn't show in the widget. I then tap on the month name near the top, which takes me into what I assume is the full app. There's still no sign of the new event.

I then turn WiFi back on (I'm within range of my home LAN). Within about 30 seconds the events appear in the widget (and are of course visible in the full app too).

The impression it gives is that the events are being created in a local cache, but the UI is only being updated as a result of a sync with Google.
    08-28-2013 12:25 PM
    Boxersoft - what version of Android OS is your G2 running? It could be an artifact of an older version of the OS.

SpookDroid - what version of Android OS are you running? What model Android device?
    08-28-2013 04:04 PM
    just wondering if someone can help me. I have a galaxy s4 and a galaxy note 10.1. I use S planner on both. On my phone as I begin typing a title it will search through previous events and find similar titles so I can just add it the exact same as a previous event which is very handy for me as it has customers phone numbers etc. Unfortunatley s planner on the galaxy note 10.1 does not have this feature is there a way of turning it on? I cannot find anything about it.
    08-29-2013 12:35 AM
    Boxersoft - what version of Android OS is your G2 running?
    OS is v4.1.2. My wife also has a Galaxy S2 running 4.1.2 and it behaves the same way. I set both of them up though so if I've done something stupid then it's not surprising that both are exhibiting the problem.

It could be an artifact of an older version of the OS.
    Interesting thought, but I don't know how I'd fix it if that were the case. I think the S2 was released with Gingerbread. Both of these phones were bought second-hand so I have no idea whether either had intermediate OS upgrades. Neither is rooted AFAIAA.
    08-29-2013 02:49 AM
    OS is v4.1.2. My wife also has a Galaxy S2 running 4.1.2 and it behaves the same way.
    I had one of our developers try this on a Galaxy S3 running Android OS 4.1.2. Calendar events show fine when there is no data connection.

It sounds like it's a configuration setting. I'll have my developer play around with this more tomorrow.
    08-29-2013 06:17 PM
    Most helpful - thanks very much.

Just to make sure we're clear though, so that your developer doesn't waste his time: existing events are showing with no data connection. The issue is only with events created while there's no data connection. These are created successfully but don't show in the calendar until a data connection is established (and presumably a sync has occurred).
    08-30-2013 02:01 AM
    Boxersoft - we are not able to reproduce your problem. Events created when the phone doesn't have a data connection show fine for us.
    09-13-2013 01:11 PM
    How strange. Maybe it's something crazy that I've done in configuring the phones then, but I'm at a loss to think what it could possible be.

Thanks very much for trying to reproduce it though.
    09-13-2013 01:46 PM