Android and its connection to other devices

olliegab

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Here's a real newbie question!
I'm thinking of buying an Android tablet but I am only interested if I can move data back and forth without having to take any proprietary "detours", eg using 'iTunes, as with Apple.
I want, simply, to be able to connect my tablet to a computer (running Linux), drag across a film (or whatever) and then watch it without any fuss. Is this how it works?
Cheers

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
There's a step or two you have to go through to get that working the first time, but if you're using Linux then you're probably used to that.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
There's a step or two you have to go through to get that working the first time, but if you're using Linux then you're probably used to that.

I never thought about it too much. I know you don't require drivers with Linux, as I run Ubuntu. I use adb for file transfers as the SDK is the first thing I download on a fresh install and it's there. Perfectly reliable.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Here's a real newbie question!
I'm thinking of buying an Android tablet but I am only interested if I can move data back and forth without having to take any proprietary "detours", eg using 'iTunes, as with Apple.
I want, simply, to be able to connect my tablet to a computer (running Linux), drag across a film (or whatever) and then watch it without any fuss. Is this how it works?
Cheers

Welcome to the forums!

I would trust Scott's answer. As I am unfamiliar with Linux, I can't confirm or deny.