Search results for "My photos" in Chrome / Google Now missing

Rirath

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm new to Android and utterly stumped here, would appreciate any insights.

If I search for "My photos" or "My photos of trees" (for example) in Google.com search on the desktop via Chrome, or from iOS Chrome or iOS Google Now, it works as expected and shows my pictures from my Google+ photos as it has since Google rolled out the feature months ago. However, on my new Nexus 7 running 4.3, I get no results from Google+ at all, whether I use Google Now or even just Google.com via Chrome.

I'm logged in to Google+, on Google.com via Chrome I see it in the header bar, but no "Google+ results" appear in my search results. Other services appear to work as expected, such as package tracking via searching "My packages". Saying "Show me photos of..." will pull up image results from the web. The only way to search for my Google+ photos I can find is to go to the Google+ app, to photos, hit the menu button, and then search. (terribly hidden, by the way!). That works fine.

What am I missing? Is it possible Google doesn't have this feature on Android Chrome or Android Google Now, but has it on everything else (desktop, iOS)?

Rirath

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Clear data of google apps.

Thanks for the suggestion. I cleared Google+, Google Search, and Chrome. Got the setup screens again, signed in to everything, but still no results. Is there another app / service you meant? I'm not against a factory reset if it'd help clear this up.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Google Settings, select Search. Is Personal Results switched on?

Posted via Android Central App

Rirath

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Go to Google Settings, select Search. Is Personal Results switched on?

Do you mean in the Google app > settings > privacy & accounts: Personal results? If so, it is flipped to on.
I assume that's how I'm able to get information like package tracking when I say "my packages", for example.

Thanks for checking, though.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Try opening Google Search, then tap menu/Settings/Phone Search. Are there any options there for Google+? I actually don't see it on my phone, though.

Posted via Android Central App

Rirath

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. Try opening Google Search, then tap menu/Settings/Phone Search. Are there any options there for Google+? I actually don't see it on my phone, though.

The Nexus 7 has 'tablet search', but no, no Google+ options in there. As far as I can tell, all of my permissions are correct and all the needed pieces are in place. But thanks for helping make sure I haven't overlooked anything, it can be easy to do.

Did a little more testing this evening, if I go to Google.com via Chrome for Android and search "my photos", it doesn't work. If I click menu (for Chrome) and "request desktop site", it works as expected on the desktop version of Google.com. I'm starting to think photo search is a feature Google has either specifically disabled, simply overlooked, or yet to roll out on their tablet devices... as little sense as that makes... both in Google Now and Chrome for Android.

It seems basically functional everywhere EXCEPT my tablet. Any other Nexus 7 users out there tried it?