Different Versions?

queensgirl

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty new to the Android family and I seemed to be confused about the whole jelly bean thing.. What exactly is Jelly Bean and how do I get it on my phone? when I go into my settings it says my android version is 4.1.2 ?? Thanks

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The way Android works is Google releases the code for each version (in your case 4.1.2) with a code name (Jelly Bean). Each phone manufacturer has the option to take that code and change it to work for each specific device. Many times, each carrier will take the code from the manufacturer and change it some more and then either program it onto, or send an over the air (OTA) update to existing phones. This isn't done on every phone with every version of Android that's released. Many times the phone manufacturers decide to stop updating devices so they get stuck on old versions of Android. That's why there are still a bunch of phones out there on Gingerbread (2.3).

So to get a new version of Android on your phone you have to either wait for your manufacturer and probably carrier to take the new version of Android and change the code for your phone, or wait for some other developer to do that, then figure out how to "root" your phone (gain "all access") and "flash" a "ROM" (program a new OS) on your phone. The problem with flashing a new ROM is you have to see if someone will do out out of the kindness of their heart (which happens a lot for popular phones), then make sure it's actually stable, and then go through the whole process of getting it on your phone which, if done incorrectly, could turn your phone into a paperweight.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Oh okay thank you!
What phone/carrier do you have? Most "newer" phones are either going to be upgraded to Jellybean or came already loaded with Jellybean. Keep in mind that Jellybean started with 4.1 and includes all variations up to 4.3.

If you provide your phone/carrier we can see if you will officially get Jellybean.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yep, it's similar to other software, where there's a name (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9, 10 and then the actual version which contains numbers that correspond to the upgrades within that product. Except for Android, it's Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean and soon Kit Kat (it goes alphabetical). But then within the names there's the actual version number (like 4.1).

So if you're on 4.1.2 then you have Jelly Bean.