URGENT Galaxy S3 Emergency

Samtheman7

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
So, I rooted my AT&T GS3 about 4 months ago, with the intentions to start getting into custom ROM's. But I never actually installed one, so I just have stock Android 4.1.1 on my rooted phone.

Now, 4 months later, I get the notification to update to Android 4.2.1. I wasn't sure how that would go on a rooted phone though, so I postponed it, and then postponed it again. However, after the 3rd time, it wouldn't let me postpone, and sent me straight into the update.

Sure enough, the update didn't go well, and now my phone is in a weird state and I don't know what to do. It seems that I am in "CWM-based Recovery." In the middle of the screen is a picture of the Android guy with his chest open and a red exclamation point/triangle on top of his chest.

On the bottom of the screen, it says this:

CWM-based Recovery v5.5.0.4
E : Invalid command argument
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E : failed to verify whole-file signature
E : signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

And on the top of the screen in blue text, I have these options:

reboot system now
install zip from sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
backup and restore
mounts and storage
advanced

All I want is to get back to my phone working, without losing my data. What option should I hit to return to where I was? Help!

Thanks so much,
Samtheman7

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So, I rooted my AT&T GS3 about 4 months ago, with the intentions to start getting into custom ROM's. But I never actually installed one, so I just have stock Android 4.1.1 on my rooted phone.

Now, 4 months later, I get the notification to update to Android 4.2.1. I wasn't sure how that would go on a rooted phone though, so I postponed it, and then postponed it again. However, after the 3rd time, it wouldn't let me postpone, and sent me straight into the update.

Sure enough, the update didn't go well, and now my phone is in a weird state and I don't know what to do. It seems that I am in "CWM-based Recovery." In the middle of the screen is a picture of the Android guy with his chest open and a red exclamation point/triangle on top of his chest.

On the bottom of the screen, it says this:

CWM-based Recovery v5.5.0.4
E : Invalid command argument
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E : failed to verify whole-file signature
E : signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

And on the top of the screen in blue text, I have these options:

reboot system now
install zip from sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
backup and restore
mounts and storage
advanced

All I want is to get back to my phone working, without losing my data. What option should I hit to return to where I was? Help!

Thanks so much,
Samtheman7

Click reboot now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781