"New" context menu doesn't appear when accessing SD card from computer

G8tr1522

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Basically, I'm unable to make a briefcase folder on my phone's SD card. I can make new folders, but I don't get the range of options that you would normally get when hovering your cursor over the "New" option (when opening the "New" context menu) when accessing my SD card via a usb cable plugged into the phone; I'm actually able to get the context menu when accessing the SD card by sticking it straight into the computer, but when it remains in my phone (and the phone's hooked up to the computer), I don't get the context menu.

Here's the issue:
phone.jpg

Here's what I want:
phone2.jpg

Obviously, I can just use the SD card by plugging it directly into the computer, but it's inconvenient to take off the case, remove the back, etc. I'd rather just plug a USB cable directly into the phone. Why is my phone preventing me from getting that context menu when doing so though?

Samsung-SGH-I437
Android version 4.1.2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Basically, I'm unable to make a briefcase folder on my phone's SD card. I can make new folders, but I don't get the range of options that you would normally get when hovering your cursor over the "New" option (when opening the "New" context menu) when accessing my SD card via a usb cable plugged into the phone; I'm actually able to get the context menu when accessing the SD card by sticking it straight into the computer, but when it remains in my phone (and the phone's hooked up to the computer), I don't get the context menu.

Here's the issue:

Here's what I want:

Obviously, I can just use the SD card by plugging it directly into the computer, but it's inconvenient to take off the case, remove the back, etc. I'd rather just plug a USB cable directly into the phone. Why is my phone preventing me from getting that context menu when doing so though?

Samsung-SGH-I437
Android version 4.1.2
Welcome to the forums!
Because a brief case is essentially like a .zip file. The coding may be different and Android can't read it.