Transfer Contacs

whyeven

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello AC - members,

I have one question. If I save (export) my contacts on the galaxy s4 to the internal sd card, can I easily restore them with another ROM?
I'm planning to install the 4.3 Jellybean Version (and turning my S4 into a GE S4).

Therefore the shortform of my question: Is it possibile to import the .vcf files from the TW contacs app into the Vanilla Android Contacts App?

Thanks a lot for your help and excuse my bad english.

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Your easiest method is to sync all your contacts with Gmail. You can set up your S4 to sync your contacts back to Gmail. Once you get that done you can easily get your contacts on any Android phone.

whyeven

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I have all sync methods disabeld because of security reasons (I know, one cannot disconnect android from google, but I want to share as few data as possible).

No way of syncing manually?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello AC - members,

I have one question. If I save (export) my contacts on the galaxy s4 to the internal sd card, can I easily restore them with another ROM?
I'm planning to install the 4.3 Jellybean Version (and turning my S4 into a GE S4).

Therefore the shortform of my question: Is it possibile to import the .vcf files from the TW contacs app into the Vanilla Android Contacts App?

Thanks a lot for your help and excuse my bad english.
Welcome to the forums! You can sync your contacts with Google right now (system settings > accounts > Google > Check the sync box) and you'll have contacts re-sync to the device when the new ROM is installed and you set it up the contacts will automatically sync back to the device on the new ROM. If you don't want to keep a backup with Google then you can export the contacts as a .csv file then import to the device once the new ROM is installed.

whyeven

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your help.
As I've written above, I would appreciate it not to sync my data with the google servers.

The form you suggested with reimport on the new ROM was my first intention, too.
Though you said the format should be .csv. If I go for Export on Stock TW the location path of the file ends with .vcf.

Is the whole process still possible? And if not, how can I change the format of the contacts?

Again, thanks for your help.

whyeven

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
So it is not possible to use the google-free way srkmagnus explained?

Another question, if I flash a ROM (the 4.3 Jamal GE Port through TWRP) is the internal sd clean totally? So aren't there any nandroid backups left?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, an over sight on my end about you not wanting to sync to Google. Export as vcf should work without any problems. I would suggest saving two contact export files (backup to the cloud or pc) and make a nandroid backup in recovery of your current ROM.

With the contacts app opened, press menu. You should be given an option to import/export, and will have options as to where you want the exported file saved.
Let us know how it works out or if you have further questions! :)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2