new to Android.

paulschram

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I'm generally an Apple user for tablets, and iPods etc. But I can't afford and iPhone, so I have a Huawei phone based on the Android system. I have a question. Is there a way to cut off all incoming data over night, like email, updates, etc, without using airplane mode and canceling my incoming phone calls? I don't want to de-activate my phone overnight, but I don't need incoming emails and other data, which I'm trying to keep my data usage down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much
Paul

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It depends on your phone model and OS version, but somewhere in your settings there should be a "Blocking Mode" (the equivalent of iPhone's Do Not Disturb). Another option is that you could turn of the Sync option to prevent apps from fetching data or getting push notifications. Also, you could disable Mobile Data altogether, leaving only room for incoming/outgoing calls.

There are also apps that allow you to do this (several Battery Saving apps and Task Automation apps) either via switches or the more advanced, with timers or even location-based.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not familiar with that specific phone, but there's usually a "mobile data" option that can be toggled off. If you're on WiFi then Android generally won't use mobile data, either.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

You can turn off your wifi and 4G/3G mobile data using toggle widgets. The stock toggle widget bar usually has the wifi toggle but not the 4G/3G toggle, so I suggest trying Power Toggles, which is powerful and free.

You should also consider Tasker, which can automate tons of custom activities including what you're asking about.

paulschram

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the info. I'm really new to Android and I know that I have version 4.0.3. I downloaded an app called Data on-off, but even when I activate it I'm still showing full wi-fi signal, and 3Gsignal. At home over night I don't have wi-fi. I believe I've figured out how to stop my email from checking through out the night, assuming turning off notifications is correct, but it'd be nice to have one button to turn off all incoming data without affecting the incoming phone calls. I guess I'm too old to figure out a new system. :)

paulschram

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all. I figured it out. There's actually a button in my notifications screen called "Data Switch", which I never knew what it meant before. Crisis averted. Thanks everyone. Man, Android folks are friendly. :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad you figured it out! Different manufacturers can have somewhat different features--as far as I can tell, that switch is unique to Huawei.

We try to be friendly around here. The Moderators have big sticks that they wave to scare the trolls away.;)

paulschram

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate that. I didn't know what kind of answers I'd get after mentioning that I was primarily an Apple user. But I do love my Huawei Android phone.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to forums! Glad you got the answer you needed. We're a friendly bunch, so don't hesitate asking questions around here. :)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2