Help, I am a (cloud) music fail...

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
New to Android, and to cloud.

Goal: to put about 2,000 songs onto google cloud and have a way to play them on my Android 4.2 cell phone.

I wanted to use Rocket Player but i figured, let me make life easier and just go the google play route, even though i already get 50MB free on google cloud drive.

So i downloaded stupid music manager it uploaded my files and i tried opening Google music on my android and all it wants to do is ask me if i want a free trial. No, i don't. It also says i have no music uploaded/downloaded and now i can't even get back to where it said that. ?

Preference: To put all my music as is on the cloud drive or whatever and be able to use it with a non-google music player. Can anyone walk me through this?

Non-preference, if i have to, i'll do the google music, but i'd prefer not because i'm so damn sick of google right about now.

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Songs stored in the Google Play cloud must be played back with the Google Play Music app. Also, the songs you store in the Google cloud don't count against your 50GB of free Google Drive storage.

Did you make sure your phone synced with the Google servers again after you installed the app and had all the songs uploaded?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
New to Android, and to cloud.

Goal: to put about 2,000 songs onto google cloud and have a way to play them on my Android 4.2 cell phone.

I wanted to use Rocket Player but i figured, let me make life easier and just go the google play route, even though i already get 50MB free on google cloud drive.

So i downloaded stupid music manager it uploaded my files and i tried opening Google music on my android and all it wants to do is ask me if i want a free trial. No, i don't. It also says i have no music uploaded/downloaded and now i can't even get back to where it said that. ?

Preference: To put all my music as is on the cloud drive or whatever and be able to use it with a non-google music player. Can anyone walk me through this?

Non-preference, if i have to, i'll do the google music, but i'd prefer not because i'm so damn sick of google right about now.

I am currently testing it right now. I will post what I can come up with.

EDIT: I will have to wait until tomorrow. 800 songs takes a while to upload.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Regarding your preference to play music files that are uploaded to Google Drive--here's an app called Music Drive that purports to do that, but apparently it's pretty basic.

Regarding Google Music, I suggest first checking out your Google Music library on the web to make sure it uploaded correctly. If it's there, then it should sync over to your phone, as long as Google Music is set to sync (which you can check under Settings/Accounts-Google/[your Google account], and make sure Google Music is checked). Alternatively, I think there's a "Refresh" option in Google Play Music's menu. Keep in mind that it may take several minutes for your online library to populate the app.

Once you have Google Music up and running, I think you might be pleasantly surprised--give it a chance!

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Songs stored in the Google Play cloud must be played back with the Google Play Music app. Also, the songs you store in the Google cloud don't count against your 50GB of free Google Drive storage.

Did you make sure your phone synced with the Google servers again after you installed the app and had all the songs uploaded?

yeah, i did some shut down, restart (while trying to work on the "glitch" lockscreen feature, lol), and waiting and now it seems fine. :D. I probably just hadn't waited long enough. Forgot about patience

Thanks all. :D

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Can Gmusic also play files i store locally? i tried using the pin feature to store some of the music in the google music cloud onto my device, but my gosh, soooooo slowwww. So i'd like to drag and drop some music onto my device, can Gmusic play that as well or should i get another music player for that?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can use the Play Music app to play local music. You can choose to display locally stored music only or all music (local and cloud), but then you will probably see duplicates of the music from both areas. The device should be able to scan and find wherever your music is, but I suggest organizing it into a folder called Music in either internal or external SD storage, and keep the conventional Artist/Album/Song folder hierarchy.

Phil Wales

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hi jack your thread, I'm also new to android coming from iOS. I have up loaded all my iTunes library to google music. How do I actually get the music back onto my new phone? Phone hasn't arrived yet, so haven't been able to check if there's a facility on the google play app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can download the music to your new phone, but only for use with the Google Play Music app. There may also be a limit of how much music you can download--I've heard that you're limited to around 8 gb to download. You can always stream your entire library over the Web using Play Music.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hi jack your thread, I'm also new to android coming from iOS. I have up loaded all my iTunes library to google music. How do I actually get the music back onto my new phone? Phone hasn't arrived yet, so haven't been able to check if there's a facility on the google play app.

Welcome to the forums and Android!
What device did you get? I personally prefer SD cards. Don't need a signal, your songs are always there.

Phil Wales

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a Z1, I'm not even sure I will use the phone for music tbh, I used to because my Audi has the apple interface, now I've just put my iPod touch in there permanently . But if I do I will use he sd card to hold the music . I don't want to have to rely on wifi or Internet to stream my music.

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Google play works with sd cards, internal storage only afaik. On my trial it wouldn't detect music on my sd card. Sticking with spotify.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Google play works with sd cards, internal storage only afaik. On my trial it wouldn't detect music on my sd card. Sticking with spotify.

Correct.

If you like using iTunes and want to use your SD card you can download iSyncr and have it sync whatever playlists you want from iTunes to your phone over WiFi. You don't need to use Google Music at all if you don't want to. I've found it's the cleanest way to keep iDevices and your Android phone all on the same page. As a bonus you can have it automatically upload songs you buy off Amazon MP3 on your phone back into iTunes.

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I deleted itunes bloatware off my pc. I have isyncr but gave up on it. I just drag and drop the music folders onto my sd card. I rarely buy music anymore with spotify premium.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I deleted itunes bloatware off my pc. I have isyncr but gave up on it. I just drag and drop the music folders onto my sd card. I rarely buy music anymore with spotify premium.

That will make it hard for him to use his other Apple devices, though.