Which would you choose - Incredible or Fascinate?

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I currently use a Motorola Droid which is rooted (non-themed Cyanogenmod 6.0) and overclocked to 1GHz. It's served me well, but I even with the CM6 and overclock I find it still is slow to respond often. And regardless of which launcher I use it'll relaunch frequently and redraw all the icons and widgets after what I can only assume is a low-memory state.

So, I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer phone. I'd like to stay on Verizon (not touching AT&T and unfortunately T-Mobile isn't very good where I live and work).

The options are, of course, the HTC Incredible, the Droid X, the Droid 2 and the upcoming Samsung Fascinate. Now, I almost never use the keyboard on my Droid, so I'm not too keen on the Droid 2. The Droid X, I find, is simply too big. I honestly don't need or particularly want a phone that size...

Which leaves me with either the Incredible or the Fascinate. I would like whichever phone I get to have a reasonably good developer following like my original Droid has had. I enjoy new ROMs and would rather not always have to rely on Verizon for OS updates (which is where the root access and developer support comes in).

I've read the Galaxy S phones have less-than stellar battery life and that they have a slow, inaccurate GPS (and not sure if it's hardware or software). TouchWiz may still be immature and experience with the Galaxy S is limited as the phone is so new, so custom ROMs may be few for a while.

The Incredible is a bit slower and has been around a while longer, but has a very mature UI (HTC Sense) and has reasonable developer support for custom ROMs. Battery life also is a bit of an issue but I understand greatly helped with a Sedeio OEM-sized extended.

So, which would you choose - the Incredible or the Fascinate?

Help me pick my next phone. :p

slcbtf

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I was trying to make the same decision last week. I went into the store and compared the Droid X and the Vibrant/Captivate. I was surprised to see that the size of the Galaxy S phones where so similar to the Droid X. There really isn't that big of a difference between the size of the two phones.

The end result was...I ordered the DX. However, the day after I ordered it..I hear the rumors of the facinate coming out around the 9th. I guess I'll try the X and then if I don't like it I'll trade it for the Facinate.

As for the incredible, I have a friend who has one. He complains about his battery life and a couple other things, but he generally likes it. I think it's a great phone too, but I liked the features of the X and Galaxy S better.

hindustani8

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I am in the similar situation. The only thing I love about Samsung Fascinate is the Super AMOLED screen. It's pretty stunning. However, the Samsung interface over android does not appeal to me. I did see some leaked pics of HTC phone coming to vzw this holiday season. I'll probably wait to see reviews on that device before finally making a decision.

capnhowdy18

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
The HTC phone is supposed to be very similiar to the Evo. So its going to be big.

Personally, since you don't mind using roms, I had have to go with the fascinate. Largely due to the screen. I have an Evo and it really does suck that in bright sunlight I have to shield my phone to see it. Its the only thing that makes me think about switching to an epic.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Bing! Bing! Bing!...... I'd get the Incredible.

But seriously I would still recomend the DInc to anyone. It's fast and it's a good size. I worked with a couple of X's and it always seems like I have to press everything twice. Same with the D2. I think the DInc is much smother and more responsive.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I'd go with the DInc as well. I have an Evo, my partner has an Epic, but my boss has a DInc and it's a very nice phone. I don't like how they made Bing the only available search engine on the Fascinate. Though I imagine there will be a rom to fix that.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's help. I bought an Incredible and I'm very pleased with it.

I'm pleased with the size and thinness - only about 1 or 2 mm thicker than an iPhone 4.

May (stress May) eventually root and put a vanilla Android ROM on it, but for now I'm quite satisfied.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith