Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks

stevzfs

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Setup Tips and Tricks

Cutting and pasting in a gmail app (any gmail app aside from the web browser) doesn't work when forwarding an email on the Nexus 5 or the Moto X - unless I hit "Respond Inline" which removes formatting. Apparently this worked on older android operating systems. Any ideas???

Thanks -

Steve

Fishfam4

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I have a question, don't want to make a thread: how well do Android and OS X get along? I'm getting an iMac soon along with an Android phone and two Android tablets. Will I be able to sync, backup etc. my devices via an OS X program?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a question, don't want to make a thread: how well do Android and OS X get along? I'm getting an iMac soon along with an Android phone and two Android tablets. Will I be able to sync, backup etc. my devices via an OS X program?

Hi, I don't have an answer, but I would suggest creating a new thread with this question. If you add a question to this mammoth thread, it will be more likely to get buried among all of the other different questions.

JSanchez41

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Keyboard Basics
? The spell checker suggests corrections as you type. Keyboards like SwiftKey suggest the next word.
? Calibrate your onscreen keyboard: Tap Menu Settings Language & keyboard Touch input Text input Calibration tool
? Tap the Space key twice to add a period after a word and capitalize the next letter typed in most keyboards.
? The keyboard should come up automatically when you tap into a text input area on screen.
? Holding down the menu key will bring up your keyboard.

Good Vibrations Are Bad For Batteries
By default, many Android phones vibrate giving "haptic feedback" as you type. This is one of the tips to help save your battery life:
? Menu Settings Language & keyboard Touch input Text input Vibrate when typing OFF
? From these menus you can also set keyclick sounds, spell correction, and more.

Changing Keyboards
AppBrain has 750 listings for "keyboard" in almost every flavor and language. Different keyboards may be better for different tasks and you can have several installed. Also see Android Central's Keyboard Roundup and Android 101: How to change keyboards. If your phone is sluggish after changing keyboards, reboot: Press and hold the power button, tap Power off, then turn it back on.

Setup Keyboards
You must enable each keyboard you install: Tap Home Menu Settings Keyboard & Language and then check each keyboard. To change keyboards as you type: Long-press in the text area, tap Input method then the keyboard you want to use. Here is a video. This is also where you can change the settings for the keyboard.

SwiftKey
Android Market Rating: 4.55
Remainder of Word Predictions: YES
Next Word Prediction: YES
Speech to Text: YES
Predictions keep improving: YES

Physical keyboards help you type more. Predictive keyboards like SwiftKey help you type less. They learn how you think and suggest words you will most likely say next. Voice Actions trys to prevent typing.
? What's faster than typing? Not typing. SwiftKey predicts your next word before you even start to type it.
? It learns how you think making better suggestions all the time, sometimes better than the word than you were thinking.
? It may be illegal for you to text while driving. SwiftKey also offers speech to text so you can talk instead of typing. $4. Free trial.

SwiftKey Settings: Tap Home > Menu > Settings > Language & keyboard > SwiftKey X
? Advanced > Spacebar will...: "Always insert a space" gives 3 real predictions. Warning: Defaults to Insert a prediction.
? Advanced > Keyboard feedback: To customize keypress vibrations.
? Advanced > Quick ".": If on, press space twice to get a period. You probably want this off.
? Theme > Theme: To select Light, Dark, or Neon Theme.
? Theme > Arrow keys: To add arrow keys to the keyboard.

Swype
Android Market Rating: Not in the market.
Next Word Prediction: NO

With Swype you don't type. You swipe your finger over the keys instead of tapping them. How good is Swype? Swype set the world texting speed record.

? Swype is not available at this time except on certain phones like the Droid X, Epic, and Touch 3G.

? A secret to Swype is that it is an excellent keyboard for regualr typing too with great predictions as shown above.

? Tap the blue arrow for another set of predicted words. Speech to Text is very good.

Better Keyboard
Android Market Rating: 4.13

Better Keyboard is a great keyboard for a new user because it can show where you tapped as blue dots on the keys.

• Your accuracy will improve quickly.

? Better Keyboard offers multiple languages and is customizable.

? Better Keyboard gives you many predictions with even more by pressing the ► button (in orange above).

? Predictions are only for the remainder of the word, not the next word. $3. No free trial.

ThickButtons
Android Market Rating: 3.64

ThickButtons looks like a normal keyboard until you start typing.

? The keys most likely to come next become thicker and word predictions appear.

? Press the ► button (in orange above) to see more predictions.

? Note that predicted words are only shown once you start typing the word.

? Speech recognition is very good. Free.

OMG thank you so much this was very helpful! =]​

skigeorge

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I've got a Galaxy s4 and since I've updated to KitKat my volume for notifications and calls keeps resetting to max by itself. I will set it at the lowest setting and it will stay that way for maybe one or 2 texts and then the next one will come through full volume. Any ideas on fixing this? Thanks.

roxana14

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I have a Galaxy note 3 and when I was trying to attach an image from my phone via text messaging, I accidentally chose the "always" option for things to be attached from my google drive. How do I undo this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy note 3 and when I was trying to attach an image from my phone via text messaging, I accidentally chose the "always" option for things to be attached from my google drive. How do I undo this?

Welcome to Android Central! Go to your App Manager, select Google Drive, and tap Clear Defaults.

Faizan Kazi

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I am using Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 and every time I am installing the game and trying to open it, there is an error pop up stating that 'unfortunately (name of the game) has stopped'.
Please help me in sorting this issue. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you! My email address is forever.faizan91@gmail.com.

Regards,
Faizan

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I am using Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 and every time I am installing the game and trying to open it, there is an error pop up stating that 'unfortunately (name of the game) has stopped'.
Please help me in sorting this issue. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you! My email address is forever.faizan91@gmail.com.

Regards,
Faizan

Welcome to Android Central! What game are you trying to play, and from where did you install it? If you installed it from somewhere besides a well-established app store like Google Play or Amazon Appstore, it's possible the game isn't actually compatible with your device. Google Play or Amazon won't even let you install an incompatible app, but other sources might let you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
how do i post a thread to this forum?

Welcome to Android Central! It's best not to post in this particular thread, because it's enormous, and anything you post will have more chance of being lost in the shuffle. Just go to the subforum where you want to post, and click or tap on the Post New Thread button. It also depends on what you're using to post--are you on the website, the Android Central app (the one with news, videos, reviews, etc.), or the Tapatalk-based Android Central Forums app?

ltfhenry

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
This site appears to be vulnerable to Heartbleed!!!

I don't know where I should post this, but it appears this site is vulnerable to Heartbleed! Please advise!!!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 22

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: This site appears to be vulnerable to Heartbleed!!!

McAfee says not vulnerable: McAfee True Intelligence Feed (Beta)

I recall a week or so ago that AC was down for about an hour, and the head honcho of Mobile Nations, Marcus Adolfsson, said it was because they were busy patching the server for Heartbleed. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Ashleyhood

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Video message help!

Okay so I really want to send a concert video to a friend and every time I want to send it, it says file size to large and I've read about putting on limit for MMS and I did and the video is SO BLOCKY, is there any way to fix this? Or something like to send it another way? Help!! x

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Video message help!

Welcome to Android Central! Texting has a pretty strict limit on file size (I think it's around 1.5 MB), and Gmail can send a 25 MB file at the largest. If you have a larger file, you could upload it to Google Drive, and then share it with your friends that way. The video will remain in the cloud, and you're simply giving your friends access to it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I am new here and new to android phones bought a zte unico 4glte straight talk unlimited

Welcome to Android Central! Let us know if you have any questions.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance