Coming from iphone (help)

maybi0058

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello to all, ive tried searching online but can't really find much. I got an android phone for the first time around a month back. I love the phone but there is something that has me worried. With iphone all pics and documents were stored on icloud and if the phone was lost/stolen or just changing phone, as soon as you signed in the phone would automatically started syncing all pics and docs from previous phone. Does Android do that? Is there something specific I have to do to not loose my pics in case I loose my phone? If I get a tablet will ny pics also get synced with my tablet or would I have to tranfer things with a cable? Thanks in advance to all who answer.

Posted via Android Central App

maybi0058

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I do use Gmail, my email is on the web, my calendar is important but its also ok if it doesn't get transfered to the new devise. But what about pics? DROPBOX has limited space (doesn't it?) So this means I have to save all of my pics to DROPBOX? Isn't there like a samsung cloud?

maybi0058

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I loved opening my apple devises and having everything synced in without any worries. But I also love Android. There has to be a better way. !!!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I do use Gmail, my email is on the web, my calendar is important but its also ok if it doesn't get transfered to the new devise. But what about pics? DROPBOX has limited space (doesn't it?) So this means I have to save all of my pics to DROPBOX? Isn't there like a samsung cloud?

Welcome to the forums and Android!
Dropbox has limited space for free. If you pay for it (and I think it's like 10 per month) you get a ton.

maybi0058

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums and Android!
Dropbox has limited space for free. If you pay for it (and I think it's like 10 per month) you get a ton.

Do the pics get saved with a good quality? Another thing thing that made me ditch apple was because they charge for everything to find out now that dropbox is $10 a mont :-/

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Do the pics get saved with a good quality? Another thing thing that made me ditch apple was because they charge for everything to find out now that dropbox is $10 a mont :-/

Pics are same quality you take them with. I just looked at my dropbox. I have a couple promos for 48 GB each. One expires next summer, other in 2015.

Sent from a 4.3 Slim S3 using the AC forums app

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

How much space do you need?

maybi0058

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
How much space do you need?

Its not about space. Its about not loosing my pics if devise gets stolen. I have read some more online amd even using samsung link, wish is the closest thing to icloud I jave found still I need to have either skydrive or dropbox.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can upload and sync your photos with your Google+ account. Picasa essentially became Google+ Photos. You can then see these photos on any of your devices, so it acts like iCloud. There's also a feature to automatically back up any photos you take with your device to Google+

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There has to be a better way. !!!
There is - but you didn't like it.

Apple forces you to do everything their way, and they can sync everything because they have total control over all your hardware and all your softeware (as far as the phone is concerned).

Android is open source, so you can do it your way, but that means that Google can't control everything (which most people consider a "good thing").

You can sync everything to your computer, you can sync everything to a cloud account, or more than one cloud account, or you can sync to everything - it's your choice. But the fact that you can make the choice means that you have to make the choice.

I back everything up to both my computer and to a Dropbox account. If both of them go bad the same day that I lose my phone, the world is probably ending, so I wouldn't worry about it. (IOW, I think that 2 independent backups are sufficient.) I use MyPhoneExplorer for what Google doesn't back up automatically, but there are many good programs out there. (I back up to 2 folders on my computer, one of them being Dropbox. It's faster than going directly from the phone to Dropbox.)

As far as quality (pictures, movies, music) goes, it's digital, so all copies are the same quality as the original.

maybi0058

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
There is - but you didn't like it.

Apple forces you to do everything their way, and they can sync everything because they have total control over all your hardware and all your softeware (as far as the phone is concerned).

Android is open source, so you can do it your way, but that means that Google can't control everything (which most people consider a "good thing").

You can sync everything to your computer, you can sync everything to a cloud account, or more than one cloud account, or you can sync to everything - it's your choice. But the fact that you can make the choice means that you have to make the choice.

I back everything up to both my computer and to a Dropbox account. If both of them go bad the same day that I lose my phone, the world is probably ending, so I wouldn't worry about it. (IOW, I think that 2 independent backups are sufficient.) I use MyPhoneExplorer for what Google doesn't back up automatically, but there are many good programs out there. (I back up to 2 folders on my computer, one of them being Dropbox. It's faster than going directly from the phone to Dropbox.)

As far as quality (pictures, movies, music) goes, it's digital, so all copies are the same quality as the original.

Thank you so much to you and to all who have answered. Your info was very useful. I actually just opened a dropbox acct and got 48gb of space for free after completing some steps. I feel much better now and I am understanding more.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc