I just bought a Micro SDHC (32GB ADATA) so I turned off my phone (Galaxy Grand), took my old MicroSD (8GB dont remember which brand) and put the new one. My old MSD started working fine as soon as I put on the phone so I though it was going to be the same with the new one. So I connected the phone to my PC and tried to transfer some files but it didnt worked, neither I could create folders, so I tried formatting the MSD from my phone and it quickly send an error message "The memory is damaged" (or something like that because my phone isn't on english). So I took the MSD, connected it to my PC (with an USB adapter) and formatted it, put it on the phone again, connected the phone to the PC and tried again to transfer some files but it didn't worked. After several tries I tried to transfer some files connecting the MSD (formatted from my PC) through the USB adapter and it worked, even transfer song and when I put the MSD on the phone I could listen to the files.

So the problem is that I cannot transfer files to the MSD when it connected throught the phone but I can when it's connected through the USB adapter.
    And as far as I remember neither I can "create" files from my phone to the MSD (create folder, take photos, and probably install APPs).

I read a lot of people having similar problems but most of them didn't had a working answer (at least for me) and weren't so detailed as Im trying to be.

Really hope you guys can help me !
    09-29-2013 12:41 PM
    I just bought a Micro SDHC (32GB ADATA) so I turned off my phone (Galaxy Grand), took my old MicroSD (8GB dont remember which brand) and put the new one. My old MSD started working fine as soon as I put on the phone so I though it was going to be the same with the new one. So I connected the phone to my PC and tried to transfer some files but it didnt worked, neither I could create folders, so I tried formatting the MSD from my phone and it quickly send an error message "The memory is damaged" (or something like that because my phone isn't on english). So I took the MSD, connected it to my PC (with an USB adapter) and formatted it, put it on the phone again, connected the phone to the PC and tried again to transfer some files but it didn't worked. After several tries I tried to transfer some files connecting the MSD (formatted from my PC) through the USB adapter and it worked, even transfer song and when I put the MSD on the phone I could listen to the files.

So the problem is that I cannot transfer files to the MSD when it connected throught the phone but I can when it's connected through the USB adapter.
    And as far as I remember neither I can "create" files from my phone to the MSD (create folder, take photos, and probably install APPs).

I read a lot of people having similar problems but most of them didn't had a working answer (at least for me) and weren't so detailed as Im trying to be.

Welcome to the forums!
    What format did you use?
    09-29-2013 12:48 PM
    Thanks !
    I used FAT32, pretty sure it was quick format.
    Should I try with exFAT ? I read it was for 64gb MSD. Or should I try with non-quick format ?
    09-29-2013 12:49 PM
    Thanks !
    I used FAT32, pretty sure it was quick format.
    Should I try with exFAT ? I read it was for 64gb MSD. Or should I try with non-quick format ?
    Try non quick.

Sent from a 4.3 Slim S3 using the AC forums app
    09-29-2013 01:23 PM

Does the phone support this much space?
    I have never used FAT 16 before, unless you count my Windows 95 HD.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-29-2013 01:28 PM
    As far as I know it supports up to 64GB.

Source: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...1.0_130117.pdf
    09-29-2013 01:45 PM
    As far as I know it supports up to 64GB.

Source: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...1.0_130117.pdf
    Interesting. Do you have root?
    If so, format the card to NTFS and get Paragon NTFS mounter.

09-29-2013 01:48 PM
    No, I dont have root. I barely know what root is, but its like an administrator mode, right ?
    09-29-2013 02:01 PM
    No, I dont have root. I barely know what root is, but its like an administrator mode, right ?
    Yep. But I know you can't mount NTFS without root. I have no more options, sorry

09-29-2013 02:05 PM
    Quick format doesn't format, it just rewrites the directory and a couple of tables. If a full format (preferably in the phone) doesn't fix the problem, I'd suspect that either the card is damaged, or you formatted it to a partition larger than the phone can handle.
    09-30-2013 12:25 AM
    I notice yesterday something. I connected the MSD via USB and created some folders and transfer some music and videos, then I put the MSD in the phone and connected it to the PC but couldnt create folder nor transfer folders (all this was after the full format that took like 30 minutes), but by error I notice that I could transfer pictures and songs, not as a folder with the files but just the files.
    09-30-2013 01:04 PM
    "Folders" aren't physical things you can transfer, they're just lists of the files that are in them. When you "transfer a file", you're really creating a folder on the destination computer, then transferring the files into it from the source computer.

Remember also - when the phone is set to use the SD card as a drive on the computer (USB Storage enabled), the phone can't access the SD card. You have to turn USB Storage off for the phone to access the card.
    09-30-2013 03:04 PM
    I feel so damn stupid... I updated it (for some weird it didn't searched for the update automatically) and format the SD card from the phone and everything went allright.

Thank you very much guys for all the help
    Cya next time I got a problem.
    09-30-2013 07:00 PM
    I feel so damn stupid... I updated it (for some weird it didn't searched for the update automatically) and format the SD card from the phone and everything went allright.

Thank you very much guys for all the help
    Cya next time I got a problem.
    Thanks for the follow up.

Sent from a 4.3 Slim S3 using the AC forums app
    09-30-2013 07:25 PM