Unlocked AT&T Atrix 2 in Italy

vsa209

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi All!

I am currently studying a year abroad in Florence, Italy and at&t graciously unlocked my atrix 2 so I could buy an Italian sim/service while i'm away.

I got a plan with TIM, a popular service provider, and pay a monthly rate so I can have a fully functioning phone. The problem is that phone calls and texts seem to work except for the phone's ability to access internet data when i'm not in a wifi zone.

I have zero phone knowledge and was wondering if this is something that could maybe be fixed? Is there a discrepancy in frequency needs? I read online TIM frequency is 1800?

Any advice on what I can try doing would be greatly appreciated. I have some tech friends that can handle complicated fixings, if that's the case!

Best,
Veronica

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If it is a case of your phone not supporting European UMTS frequencies, there's no "fix". The frequency a phone covers is determined by the hardware in the phone, not by software you can add to it.From what I know, though, the Atrix 2 covers UMTS band 1, which is European UMTS. Maybe TIM uses a different band for data?

matilde75

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I live in Italy, did you try to write manual APN? Maybe that could work, I have just bought a HTC One ( for German market) Sim free unlocked, my sim 3hg went OK, but I had to write APN manually. Hope it works for you too!!!

Inviato dal mio HTC One con Tapatalk 2

vsa209

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi Matilde! So if I have the TIM special package like this one here: TIM Special Full Small | TIM
would I have to be adding another package/paying more to activate internet? Even though it says 1gb internet offered in this package? I saw some sites saying that I would have to SMS a number with a special code to activate internet and they did not have me do that. I tried the manual APN!

matilde75

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
You don't have to add other cost or subscription!! You have Internet in your phone Con tract, maybe you should go to a TIM shop and ask for more info about your US devise and how to use APN internet in Europe. My husband bought a lot of smartphones in the USA and could. Make them run perfectly here in Italy , changing ROM and so on.... so there is a way for your device too.

Inviato dal mio HTC One con Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12